HomePNA on FTTN Pace 5268AC works!

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by raythro » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:21 pm
I have FTTN coming into a Pace 5268AC, which generally works okay although the wifi signal is a little weak on the other side of the house. To fix that, I would have ideally run cat5e cable from the modem to another access point, but feeding the wires between the two floors of the house seemed like it was going to be more trouble than it's worth. But the 5268AC also seemed to support HomePNA, and I have coax cable running all over my house, so on a whim I bought this HPNA adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00684E0UI . I removed the splitter at the junction box to go straight from one outlet to the other, plugged it all together, and it just magically worked. It gets about 80-90 Mbps, so certainly slower than ethernet, but it's faster than my FTTN connection so that seems good enough to me. Just thought I'd share this in case this helps anyone else out there.
by danielg4 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:51 pm
I had hoped to do this, but using the phone line rather than coaxial, and I didn't get to it by the time gigabit fiber was announced, so I'm just going to run Ethernet instead.
by TimeLord04 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:42 pm
While I'm an AT&T U-Verse customer, NOT a Sonic FTTN customer, my family has gone through a MYRIAD of changes on U-Verse. We started with the old 2Wire Gateways and installed U-300 TV Service over COAX. Our initial Internet package back then was 6Mb. (Approx. 9 Yrs ago, now...) Since then, we've moved from 6Mb to 10 to 12, to 18, to 24... At 24Mb, we had to go to Bonded Pair and got moved off the 2Wire Gateways to the NVG589.

We kept going UP in speed to "overcome" pixelation issues on ALL TVs. NOTHING worked. We ended up with a NEW Home Run to overcome two false Bridge Taps on our existing phone lines in the house. Still had pixelations on ALL TVs. Once on the 589's we had to be moved OFF COAX; BUT, two upstairs bedrooms could NOT make that move. So, the 589's "backfed" signal over HomePNA on the COAX.

NOW, years later, we get moved off the 589 to the 5268AC Gateway. Went through two of these, and had several auto reboots of the Gateway for NO good reason. (Or so I thought.) A recent Technician who came out a week ago, today told us that the 5268AC is NOT good at feeding back over COAX on HomePNA. So, he moved us backward a model to the NVG599 Gateway. Miraculously, NOW we have NO pixelations, AND no more random Gateway reboots. All has been good for the past week.

So, while HomePNA MAY be used via the 5268AC for your home internet usage, you may find intermittent and random auto reboots of the Gateway while using HomePNA on the 5268AC. Just a warning. Sonic Techs and Support staff may have other information here for you. Just wanted to put in my experiences. We are now on 50Mb Internet and still on U-300 TV Service with U-Verse.

Unfortunately, neither Sonic nor AT&T have any short term resolution plans to get Fiber to my area. (Danville.) So, while Sonic DOES offer Internet service over the FTTN U-Verse backbone here in Danville, we'd lose the U-300 TV Service switching from AT&T to Sonic. We're unwilling to do this. While Sonic does currently bundle TV Service with DISH Network, dad does NOT want Satellite TV Service at all. So, we're stuck with AT&T.

Good luck with your endeavors, and I hope you don't experience the reboots we had with the 5268AC and ALL other Gateways EXCEPT the 599.
3 posts Page 1 of 1