DHCPv6 coming?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by parker_day » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:02 pm
Today my Google Wifi system updated to support IPv6. This is pretty great news as it's been a feature requested for a long time. Unfortunately for me, on Fusion x2 service Sonic only provides IPv6 through 6rd. Here is what Google say:
Google Wifi does not support IPv6 transitional protocols such as 6to4 or 6rd.
They're right. 6rd is a transitional bandaid of sorts, although understandable when equipment doesn't support IPv6. With more and more websites supporting IPv6, it would be nice to have full DHCPv6 available. Are there plans to support it in the future?
by 6rd_is_not_native » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:08 am
I too would like to know. While 6rd is functional, it does have some problems.

6rd has:
Worse latency
Worse routing (the 6rd relay is usually in a "different place" in the network than the end-user so it has different routes)
20 extra bytes of overhead for every IPv6 packet (majority of packets are small so the overhead is more significant)
Much worse MTU (in part due to the overhead but also because most 6rd implementations limit the MTU to 1280)

I hope there's no technical limitation preventing the move to native IPv6.
by parker_day » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:37 am
There's talk of native IPv6 on some AT&T VDSL connections, which means at least some DSLAM hardware supports it. However it's all rumors since I haven't seen any actual confirmation of live service yet.
by danielg4 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:17 pm
parker_day wrote:There's talk of native IPv6 on some AT&T VDSL connections, which means at least some DSLAM hardware supports it. However it's all rumors since I haven't seen any actual confirmation of live service yet.
That's meaningless, because AT&T does not grant a public IP address without 802.1x authentication.

Update: As of at least last night, 2017-07-28, 6rd has been abolished on my FTTN circuit in favor of native dual stack IPv6.
4 posts Page 1 of 1