Fusion @ 7700 feet from CO with 6900/1024 synced speed

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by itwong » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:05 pm
Fusion activated today on my line. I am 7700 feet away from CO according to Sonic.net's calculation. I am using Actiontec GT701D ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ Modem/Gateway and the firmware has been updated to the latest version. I used to get about 5Mbps(630K/s) out of AT&T's 6Mbps/768kbps Elite DSL. Now with fusion, I get a little bump on the speed(6.3Mbps). I would expect a little more upgrading to Fusion. I called Tech support asking them to adjust SNR on my line to see if I can get a little more speed out of it but was told my line is already at its optimal setting. I've tested using speedtest.net at every single walljacks in my house and the NID outside the house. All came back with similar downstream/upstream speed. I assume my wiring in the house is okay. Is there anything else I can do to boost my speed? Thank you for your answer.
by clairet » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:32 pm
6.9 mbps is fairly slow for being 7,700 feet out. If you are getting slow speeds at the NID, there are main two options that could cause that. The first is that there is a problem on the external wiring (which would be AT&T's responsibility to fix). The second option is that AT&T has archived data in their database and you are further than 7,700 feet out. The only way to find this out is to give customer support a call and we can verify that your distance is accurate.
I hope this helps!
Claire T.
Sonic.net Technical Support
by itwong » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:38 pm
Called tech support and they told me my actual distance based on the line quality and interference is somewhere between 7700 feet and 11000 feet. The tech also suggests that there might be a problem on the external wiring that is casuing the slow speed. I am wondering if AT&T will come out and re-route to shorten the distance between my house and CO.
by clairet » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:55 pm
I double checked your distance in AT&T's database and you are 7,700 feet out from the central office. AT&T will not rerun cable to another central office unless your copper was in absolute terrible shape (even then, they might not do it). At your distance, your line definitely has room for improvement so hopefully AT&T will be able to repair the line and get your more speed.
Claire T.
Sonic.net Technical Support
by dane » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:58 am
clairet wrote:I double checked your distance in AT&T's database and you are 7,700 feet out from the central office. AT&T will not rerun cable to another central office unless your copper was in absolute terrible shape (even then, they might not do it). At your distance, your line definitely has room for improvement so hopefully AT&T will be able to repair the line and get your more speed.
Customers are always connected to a specific central office, each has it's exclusive serving territory. There's no way to be switched from one to another. Also, aside from cable damage, there's never new cable run either, instead damaged portions are repaired.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by itwong » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:47 pm
after playing with SNR and interleave, I was able to get synced at 7.7-8.3Mbps down/ 1.0Mbps up which gives me actual 6.4Mbps-7.0Mbps down/ 0.75-0.85Mpbs up.
6 posts Page 1 of 1