How to change your wifi password

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
13 posts Page 1 of 2
by estark » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:21 am
Can someone please give step-by-step instructions on how to change your wifi password. Having trouble figuring this out when I am within settings.

Thank you!
by miken » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:49 am
Our knowledge base has an article on how to this for the Pace 5268AC: https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Pace_5268AC ... i-Fi_Names
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by cuchulain9 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:07 pm
The link you provided how to change Network NAMES, i.e. SSIS, not password.
by miken » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:50 am
Woops. Each section (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) has a setting for 'Custom Encryption Key' which is the wireless password.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by jeff.olson » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:21 pm
by Helge » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:41 am
I had to call the support line last week for the same reason. After having searched from screen to screen for "Wifi Password." All the while suspecting that there was no way such an intuitive label would be used.
Anyway, It seems to me that the most common use cases should be given more prominence. Say, on page 1.
by joeyyung911 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:14 am
jeff.olson wrote:2.4
Thanks for a detailed reply.
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by tingtingcj1 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:18 pm
Can someone, anyone, please direct me to a place where I can find detailed, correct instructions on how to change my wifi password? I need to be able to change my password on an ongoing basis because people that come over to my house and use the wifi seem to think it is okay to use it when they leave my house and it bogs down my wifi to the point of being frustrating. Any other directions or solutions are welcomed. I could not find these specific directions anywhere within this forum. Please be clear and specific. Thank you very much.
by lefish » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:51 pm
The specific instructions will vary depending on what wi-fi router you're using. Usually you have to connect to it using a web browser and a username/password that's listed on the wi-fi router itself. If you are renting the router from Sonic, contact their support and I'm sure they can help you. If you are using your own router, Google the name and model # along with "change wifi password" or similar.
by js9erfan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:51 pm
I need to be able to change my password on an ongoing basis because people that come over to my house and use the wifi seem to think it is okay to use it when they leave my house and it bogs down my wifi to the point of being frustrating. Any other directions or solutions are welcomed.
You might consider using QoS or WiFi vouchers for this. Not knowing what WiFi router you have, check and see if it supports QoS by MAC address. In basic terms this would allow you to prioritize bandwidth for your own devices based on their MAC address which, as you say, are bogged down by other users.

Another option would be to setup a guest network/vlan that you can create and distribute WiFi vouchers for. You pick and choose who gets them, for how long they have WiFi access, etc. ~$100-$200 in Ubiquiti hardware (a UniFi Cloud Key or an old dedicated PC running 24/7 + a UniFi AP AC Lite) would give you what you need to implement this... Easy tutorial on setting up vouchers here.

Or you can just keep changing WiFi passwords over and over :cry:
13 posts Page 1 of 2