Options for POTS plus FTTN?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by artoak » Tue May 23, 2017 1:24 pm
Hoping someone can help me understand what the copper landline service Sonic offers actually is--we had Fusion X1 and just switched over to FTTN. We'd like to retain a landline for our alarm, which doesn't play nicely with VOIP. I know that both AT&T and Sonic offer this option. Sonic noted that there would be a $150 installation fee because they have to run a new circuit, though. Is there not some way to use the existing POTS lines (we have two)? Am I asking for the correct thing? One line is ancient and inactive, and one was installed by AT&T when we first started with Sonic in 2007 (when AT&T still provided the phone service). When we switched to Fusion a few years ago, AT&T came out again and installed a modern NID box, which we didn't have at the time. We basically want to keep this line active for the alarm while using FTTN for internet and voice calls, but it sounds like this isn't an option through, and we'd need to install some new line...? Is this correct? (If so, is this an issue around bundling?) Hoping for some clarity to make sure I'm actually asking for what I need. Thank you!
by miken » Tue May 23, 2017 2:36 pm
A voice only line requires a new service order as we can not downgrade from a Fusion line to voice only.

Have you spoken with your alarm company? Most offer cellular options that will work with VoIP providers.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by artoak » Wed May 24, 2017 11:10 pm
Thank you! Unfortunately our current alarm system is not compatible with VOIP, so we're exploring both adding the POTS line and switching to a new service provider whose system would be compatible. Mostly trying to weigh costs and the installation costs confused me given that we had prior service, but it sounds like that's just part of transitioning back from Fusion.
by dane » Wed May 24, 2017 11:19 pm
Give a look at Alarm Guys, Simplisafe or Frontpointe.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
4 posts Page 1 of 1