Using Orbi without the Pace router

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
15 posts Page 1 of 2
by evlzelda » Sat May 20, 2017 10:55 am
I have the Orbi mesh (router and a satellite). It's fabulous. Extremely happy with new gigabit fiber from Sonic + Orbi mesh.

The technician told me that if I return the Pace router he installed, I will save $10/month.

I have the mesh system working fine when the Orbi is connected to the Pace router. But it doesn't get internet signal if I connect the Orbi directly to the little white Adtran modem. I tried unplugging the modem for 2 minutes as part of the setup, but that didn't help. Is there a battery I need to take out to reset it?

Do I need to have the Pace router? Why can't the Orbi take the signal directly from the modem?
by amayfield » Sat May 20, 2017 11:33 am
I am not familiar with the Orbi but taking a look at your account / your Sonic Pace router and based on your description of behavior my guess is the Orbi is in bridge mode (or AP mode). Poke around in the interface of the Orbi and see if you can't get it configured into routed mode then try plugging it into the ONT again.
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by dane » Sat May 20, 2017 3:50 pm
WiFi mesh routers like the Eero and Orbi are designed to go behind the Sonic Pace device, not to replace it. They don't provide the edge/gateway functionality such as NAT, DHCP and firewall.

Their function is to build the internal mesh, generally over WiFi, to deliver faster WiFi to more spots in the home. Some also support connecting multiple units to Ethernet, which I'd recommend if possible. Connect the Ethernet ports from the Pace toward multiple jacks in the home when possible for this configuration.

FYI, Sonic network and CPE team has been testing a WiFi mesh solution, which we are considering offering to customers as part of our technician installation. The idea would be to have the tech assess the home for specific coverage via a survey tool, deploying units where needed, and for homes with Ethernet cabling (which is common in Brentwood), tie them in with that. I've got the system in my home today, and it's performing well. No word at this time whether we will launch this or not, nor when, so please don't ask staff for this yet!

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by evlzelda » Sat May 20, 2017 8:37 pm
Thank you, Dane! I will stop playing around with the system now and be happy.

If Sonic can install mesh along with the fiber install, that will be a nice service for customers.

You guys rock, thanks!
by dane » Sat May 20, 2017 8:41 pm
evlzelda wrote:Thank you, Dane! I will stop playing around with the system now and be happy.

If Sonic can install mesh along with the fiber install, that will be a nice service for customers.

You guys rock, thanks!
Yes, that's what we're thinking too. Whole-home WiFi coverage is a challenge or many of our members, and we seen a opportunity while we are on site installing fiber, do to a WiFi deployment of a managed solution. And it'd be integrated with our support, so we'd be able to see and troubleshoot issues in the future.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by pockyken007 » Sun May 21, 2017 10:56 pm
dane wrote:
evlzelda wrote:Thank you, Dane! I will stop playing around with the system now and be happy.

You guys rock, thanks!
Yes, that's what we're thinking too. Whole-home WiFi coverage is a challenge or many of our members, and we seen a opportunity while we are on site installing fiber, do to a WiFi deployment of a managed solution. And it'd be integrated with our support, so we'd be able to see and troubleshoot issues in the future.

This is pretty epic if you need a test monkey I would be more than happy to volunteer :)
by thebadpete » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:59 pm
Hi there,

I just set up an Orbi behind the Pace router (I have Sonic Fusion). I would like to know how do I set them up so that from Orbi's Wifi I can still reach Pace modem's web admin interface 192.168.1.254 even if I turn off Pace router's Wifi? Is that doable?

Peter
by dane » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:03 pm
thebadpete wrote:Hi there,

I just set up an Orbi behind the Pace router (I have Sonic Fusion). I would like to know how do I set them up so that from Orbi's Wifi I can still reach Pace modem's web admin interface 192.168.1.254 even if I turn off Pace router's Wifi? Is that doable?

Peter
Yep. that should work fine.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by rodflohr » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:42 pm
For what it is worth, I have a new Orbi set up to connect directly to the Adtran modem and it works fine. It does need to be set up as a router, not an AP. Just set it up a couple days ago. Was having trouble with the speed, and found this article while researching. I did fix the speed problem by using the cable supplied with the Orbi to replace the cable originally supplied by the Sonic installer, so that the Orbi could properly negotiate the port speed. I know I am replying to an old post, but thought this might help someone else who may come across this post doing their own research.
by tinadeb » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:43 pm
@rodflohr and @dane

I have been hitting my head against the wall for weeks now with my new Sonic fiber installation, my Orbi, and abominably slow wifi speed (in the 100s both download and upload). Direct connections to Sonic are fine here, but who hardwire-connects a laptop or phone to the Internet?

(I am a networking novice.)

I know that Orbi worked beautifully here in my house with Comcast. Wifi speeds were good. I switched to Sonic for the enhanced speed and other benefits of being with Sonic.

Sonic referred me to Netgear for help with the Orbi. I spent more than 20 hours on the phone with Netgear, with no result. We reset, reconfigured, and tried all else that the support reps could think of, to no avail. The Orbi is in router mode, so should be fine without the Sonic router, and Orbi was fine without another router on Comcast.

(The Orbi cannot be split into two wifi channels, one for 5 GHz, one for 2.4 GHz. That would require a telnet configuration, which Mac High Sierra no longer supports.)

I am ready to purchase a newer Orbi in case the older one (RBR 50) is not compatible with Sonic fiber. Sonic cannot tell me if the RBR 50 is compatible with Sonic. If I don't get a new Orbi, I could purchase an Eero (would never want to rent per month, per Sonic's plan). Or I could go back to Comcast, which I really do not want to do.

Any new ideas? This slow-wifi issue is beyond my skills and patience. Perhaps there is something simple I am overlooking?
15 posts Page 1 of 2