Fiber Optic in Bernal Heights

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
58 posts Page 6 of 6
by dane » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:03 am
Well, good to see a response and position statement from public works.

Of course, I'd argue the opposite: the complexity and congestion of the existing underground space makes microtrenching an ideal solution for new infrastructure deployment. It's used in New York City and Chicago for example - similarly complex and dense environments.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by george.belle » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:35 am
dane wrote:Well, good to see a response and position statement from public works.

Of course, I'd argue the opposite: the complexity and congestion of the existing underground space makes microtrenching an ideal solution for new infrastructure deployment. It's used in New York City and Chicago for example - similarly complex and dense environments.
I contacted Supervisor Mandelman's office back in October 2019 about micro trenching in SF but didn't get anything other than a "we'll look into it."

Dane, do you see any forthcoming solutions to those of us stuck in areas that can't get fiber? Are there 5G or other potential solutions? Even my x2 DSL is ending up insufficient when games are 120 GB+ to download. I know 5G is over-hyped, but it seems like it actually may have some high bandwidth applications in an environment like SF.
by dane » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:35 pm
We saw a note posted here that indicated that another supervisor had been told by public works that microtrenching was not viable for San Francisco. It does work in New York and Chicago, and I think it'd be viable in SF, but that's their position.

While 5G is the future for wireless, it'll require fiber to thousands of small cells in a city like San Francisco. Without microtrenching, I wonder how that fiber will get to the small cell near you?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by george.belle » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:41 pm
That's the frustrating part - I'm literally one house away from a cross street where Sonic fiber is available. So a UWB cell site on top of the utility pole 50 feet away that already has fiber running to it seems perfect! :)
by adam » Thu May 14, 2020 4:50 pm
Currently at the foot of the hill where I can only get Comcast, but we're moving up the hill a bit where it seems at&t fiber is available as well as Sonic over at&t (for 2x the price of a&t).

Still evaluating getting service from Sonic despite the rather substantial price difference because of my experiences with at&t as a wireless carrier.

Does anyone in Bernal have any experience with either at&t's fiber service or Sonic over at&t?

Are there still privacy or other concerns with Sonic over at&t? Where does at&t's network end and Sonic's begin with that option?

Thanks!
by Tandrew » Mon May 18, 2020 10:16 am
I'd love to hear more in regard to what Adam posted as well. Finally getting away from Comcast but I just wanted to make sure Fiber would match at least 275 Mbps.
by Larns576 » Mon May 18, 2020 1:36 pm
ATT fiber and Sonic over ATT fiber sells different speed tiers for fiber. The 1000Mbps plan definitely exceeds 275Mbs and while fiber is ul/dl speeds are symmetrical, Comcast upload is usually limited to 15Mbps.

I dont have ATT fiber in Bernal but I did have it in Excelsior last year. I originally had Comcast's 400Mbs plan then upgraded to ATT 300Mbps fiber. Even though the speed was capped at 300, i noticed regular internet surfing felt more responsive and faster, probably due to lower ping times. The 300Mbps ul/dl was also consistent throughout the day, unlike Comcast during peak hours.

I would definitely upgrade to fiber for speed, stability, and better customer service (Sonic) (ATT customer service depends on who answers the call and Comcast customer service is just always bad).
by jchayes362@gmail.com » Wed May 20, 2020 3:36 pm
I saw Dane say somewhere here that Sonic has fiber in NE Bernal Heights, where I live. If so, it's spotty. Customer Service offered me only DSL at my home, 362 Mullen.
58 posts Page 6 of 6