Fiber Optic in Bernal Heights

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
58 posts Page 4 of 6
by firesignth » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:22 pm
I was also a long time DSL customer of Sonic, but we weren't able to keep up with our streaming needs that way being almost 7500 feet from the co (if I recall - had the same issue with AT&T at the time, and sonic was better, just not enough).

I keep checking for Joy Street (a stairway street between Holladay and Brewster) access (a little further down Holladay from where I saw trucks this summer) and will switch as soon as you have fiber available.

Am I actually covered but not showing up in the database?

Charlie
by childishbambino » Wed May 16, 2018 3:25 pm
Apologies for opening up an old thread but when do we expect the Fiber roll out to SE Bernal Heights? Specifically Crescent street?
by MovingToBernal » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:02 pm
childishbambino wrote:Apologies for opening up an old thread but when do we expect the Fiber roll out to SE Bernal Heights? Specifically Crescent street?
We're moving to a new place on Crescent Avenue in Bernal Heights and I'd really like to keep my Sonic fiber service. The place is still served by aerial utilities. Are there any pole issues blocking fiber service on that street?
by MovingToBernal » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:30 am
Hi,
Can we expect Sonic fiber at our place anytime soon? I'm about to sign a contract with Comcast out of practicality, but would like to avoid doing so if service will be available soon. I'm annoyed that there has been no news or updates.
by larns576 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:16 pm
If the availability tool doesnt show any fiber options, then that means they dont have any immediate plans to build there. Perhaps in their next rollout maybe, but that could be many months (or more) later.

I would sign with Comcast for now and if Sonic fiber suddenly does show up, they do offer a limited contract buyout for fiber customers.

Another option is to support Sonic and go with their DSL offerings while you wait.
by tiffchow » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:23 pm
Hi there!

Apologies for digging up an old thread, but I'm In the same boat as folks above - moving to Faith Street in Bernal and wondering if that area will have fiber access at some point in the near future or not?

Seems like regular DSL service is there now, but man i'll miss this fiber connection! Realllly do not want to sign up with Comcast!

Thanks! :)
by dane » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:23 pm
tiffchow wrote:Hi there!

Apologies for digging up an old thread, but I'm In the same boat as folks above - moving to Faith Street in Bernal and wondering if that area will have fiber access at some point in the near future or not?

Seems like regular DSL service is there now, but man i'll miss this fiber connection! Realllly do not want to sign up with Comcast!

Thanks! :)
The utilities there are served underground, and unfortunately SF isn't currently allowing any new utilities to build infrastructure using modern trenchless technologies such as directional boring or microtrenching. Until and unless that is resolved, I wouldn't expect you'll ever see any new options beyond AT&T and Comcast. They're the only ones with conduit, which they got as a result of their franchise monopoly positions in telephone and cable TV respectively.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Tifchow » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:49 am
Thank you Dane - that's a tragedy!

Who at the city can we complain to and help move that along?
I doubt it'll do much good, but it feels good to add a voice!
by dane » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:12 pm
Tifchow wrote:Thank you Dane - that's a tragedy!

Who at the city can we complain to and help move that along?
I doubt it'll do much good, but it feels good to add a voice!
Probably best bet would be your Supervisor. There is a bill in process that'd direct the city to adopt standards for microtrenching - but legislation's primary driver was Farrell, and he's gone, so I imagine it's stuck. Additionally, the proposed standards aren't useful anyway, so this would take more than just getting that moving again, it'd also require technical updates to the standards to make them viable.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Tiffchow » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:15 pm
Oof. Well, gotta start someplace i guess!

thx again.
58 posts Page 4 of 6