Fiber Optic in Bernal Heights

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
58 posts Page 1 of 6
by mutasie » Fri May 19, 2017 9:16 am
Hello,
I am interested in finding out when Sonic Fiber Optic will come to the Bernal Heights neighborhood in San Francisco. I'd love to become a customer! Is there a timeline you can share?

Allen
by dane » Fri May 19, 2017 10:55 am
mutasie wrote:Hello,
I am interested in finding out when Sonic Fiber Optic will come to the Bernal Heights neighborhood in San Francisco. I'd love to become a customer! Is there a timeline you can share?

Allen
For competitive reasons, we do not provide any data about future markets before they are ready for service ordering.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by leefc » Tue May 23, 2017 11:22 am
I came on the forum with this exact question as I started seeing all fiber ads near Cesar Chavez and Mission.

To really feel the extra pain of being Bernalish, looks like fiber is so close, I can almost see the ethernet. Cesar Chavez appears to be the current cut off and I'm 3 blocks south. Eagerly anticipating the fiber to move south on Mission.
by Hesse » Sat May 27, 2017 4:11 pm
Good question, when is Sonic's Fiber Internet coming to Bernal Heights? The question of fast internet came up at a neighborhood gathering. Apparently, Bernal Heights was once high in the deployment queue for Sonic, but has since fallen off. Several of us Sonic customers who stayed loyal in anticipation are now exploring alternatives. Stay tuned for announcements (not in this forum of course).
by dane » Sat May 27, 2017 6:29 pm
The NE corner of Bernal is covered now.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Precita Patron » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:03 pm
I was a loyal Sonic customer 10 YEARS who just a couple of months ago switched to Monkey Brains because the ADSL service was getting slower....and... slower....The "answer" was to RENT Sonic's managed ADSL modem. Which was slower still. I went back to my 10 year old junker and finally gave up on you Sonic. (Or was it the other way around?)

I begged, BEGGED your customer service to give me an estimate of when we could FINALLY see gigabit fiber anywhere NEAR my home. They told me it was only in the Sunset (and it was) and I shouldn't count on it making it to Bernal in ANOTHER 10 years (after I'd already waited 10 years for it). So I ponied up $250 for a dish with Monkey brains.

Thanks a lot for rewarding my loyalty to so generously...

How about moving those of us who paid for a decade for crappy AT&T DSL lines to the top of the queue when fiber finally drops in our hood, huh?
by dane » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:18 am
Precita Patron wrote:I begged, BEGGED your customer service to give me an estimate of when we could FINALLY see gigabit fiber anywhere NEAR my home. They told me it was only in the Sunset (and it was) and I shouldn't count on it making it to Bernal in ANOTHER 10 years (after I'd already waited 10 years for it). So I ponied up $250 for a dish with Monkey brains.
Customer service would have no ability to estimate the time-frame for fiber construction. I am sorry if you felt misinformed, and we will remind our team that no matter the begging, they shouldn't engage in any speculation.

We are currently connecting Sonic members in the NE part of Bernal Heights now, and there is lots of construction underway there and in the surrounding neighborhoods in SF.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by madaroda » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:41 pm
I am scheduled to have Sonic fiber installed at our home on Peralta this coming Sunday. This is a terrific development for the neighborhood.

Sonic ran their fiber right in front of our house, and has dropped a line to the structure.

Interestingly, there was already fiber running along the same route in Bernal for some 15 years. At that time, we were remodeling our home, and RCN (an alternative to Comcast at the time that became Astound and now Wave) was ruling their fiber network right along Peralta. The wave fiber line has been literally 5 feet in front of my balcony since 2002, but at no time did the company ever think to offer the service.

Instead, Sonic had to install its own infrastructure to get fiber to our neighborhood and Wave will now never be able to compete.

Welcome to Bernal Dane and Sonic mates. We are very happy to have you here.
by veillady » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:50 pm
I am weary of waiting, and tired of the smoke and mirrors "it's coming... sometime, somewhere, maybe, maybe not" It seems as if a map showing what streets are in the immediate queue would not be leaking any state secrets. Pretty sure you have filed with the city for permits to do the work and that the competition can access that information, even if I can't.

My patience is wearing thin.
by pockyken007 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:20 pm
veillady wrote:I am weary of waiting, and tired of the smoke and mirrors "it's coming... sometime, somewhere, maybe, maybe not" It seems as if a map showing what streets are in the immediate queue would not be leaking any state secrets. Pretty sure you have filed with the city for permits to do the work and that the competition can access that information, even if I can't.

My patience is wearing thin.

you do realize there are other alternatives out there ? nobody is forcing you to wait and coming with give it to me or else ... attitude is just comical .
58 posts Page 1 of 6