Fiber DHCP Leases

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by asdfg » Tue May 16, 2017 12:17 pm
I've got a box running vyos connected directly to my ONT and configured to pull down an ip via dhcp (no other dhcpcd options set).
This seems to work fine, but there was a maintenance event last night, and it didn't pick up an ip again until I told it to renew. (so no internet connectivity until I forced the renew).

It seems like it's receiving long dhcp leases or something.
I remember reading somewhere on here that the lease time is supposed to be very low (5 minutes?). Is it possible that sonic's dhcp server is handing out leases for any lease length requested despite it supposed to only be x minutes normally? Maybe I'm just stupid and need to force dhcpcd to ask for short leases. (is the sonic provided pace box set to ask for a specific lease length or is it the responsibility of the dhcp server to hand out the lease with x lenght?)

What is the normal/appropriate behavior for dhcp leases on Fiber?

I AM renting the pace router as well (it's just not hooked up to anything) so I could switch back to that, but I'd rather keep my vyos setup and comply with sonic's configuration
by pockyken007 » Tue May 16, 2017 2:20 pm
asdfg wrote:I've got a box running vyos connected directly to my ONT and configured to pull down an ip via dhcp (no other dhcpcd options set).
This seems to work fine, but there was a maintenance event last night, and it didn't pick up an ip again until I told it to renew. (so no internet connectivity until I forced the renew).

It seems like it's receiving long dhcp leases or something.
I remember reading somewhere on here that the lease time is supposed to be very low (5 minutes?). Is it possible that sonic's dhcp server is handing out leases for any lease length requested despite it supposed to only be x minutes normally? Maybe I'm just stupid and need to force dhcpcd to ask for short leases. (is the sonic provided pace box set to ask for a specific lease length or is it the responsibility of the dhcp server to hand out the lease with x lenght?)

What is the normal/appropriate behavior for dhcp leases on Fiber?

I AM renting the pace router as well (it's just not hooked up to anything) so I could switch back to that, but I'd rather keep my vyos setup and comply with sonic's configuration
My IP hasn't changed in almost a week now ... so not sure but then I am not really monitoring it either
by asdfg » Tue May 16, 2017 7:46 pm
Seems like I'm picking up a 7 day lease? Seems a bit long...

Code: Select all

vyos@vyos:~$ renew dhcp interface eth1 
Renewing DHCP lease on eth1 ...
vyos@vyos:~$ show dhcp client leases interface eth1
interface  : eth1
ip address : a.b.c.d      [Active]
subnet mask: 255.255.252.0
router     : 198.27.172.1
name server: 208.201.224.33 208.201.224.11
dhcp server: 50.0.79.110
lease time : 604800
last update: Tue May 16 19:44:09 PDT 2017
expiry     : Tue May 23 19:44:09 PDT 2017
reason     : REBOOT
by rtrinh » Tue May 16, 2017 8:37 pm
From what I can remember after the Aug 26 2016 maintenance that gave some extended downtime for some Fiber users I noticed the DHCP lease time changed from 5 minutes to 7 days.

Don't recall the reasoning for the change though.
4 posts Page 1 of 1