Gigabit router advice?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by ericeslinger » Tue May 16, 2017 9:51 am
Hey users. Does anyone have a gigabit router they like? I have an ASUS rt-ac68u that more or less works as well as the pace wifi router I'm renting as a wifi / dhcp server except that it suffers from low wired ethernet speed (weird, but a problem other people have reported with this model - 400 or so Mbps on wired ethernet from the router, but 1000 from the pace unit, or hooked directly to the fiber modem thing).

I'd like to get my own router in part because the rental fees on the pace are high enough that it's economical to do this (I mean, at $9.50 a month over even a 12 month lifecycle, I can get a fancy router and save money), and in part because I like having better control over my home network (the pace interface leaves a bit to be desired - for example, I want to hook a USB drive up as a network share, and I might want to set up a VPN interface on the router for certain quadrennial sporting events when appearing to be not in the USA is propitious for streaming coverage).

I'm also a pretty technically-minded person, so I'm happy doing my own configuration and stuff. The fiber service is really straightforward, and I'm not looking to replace the fiber endpoint, just the pace router.

as fiber customers we have this problem that a lot of other people don't seem to have (really high bandwidth and low latency that we want to preserve inside the home network), so I'm wondering what experience people have had with different brands. I've been eying the tp-link archer and the nighthawk routers, but I also don't want to over-pay for a fancy looking enclosure, and honestly don't need gigabit wifi speed, as my bandwidth-critical devices (streaming media server on the TV, primary computer) are all on the wired network. So any feedback about routers you're happy with is welcome.
by pockyken007 » Tue May 16, 2017 10:45 am
Synology RT2600ac is not bad if you got the $$$ ( https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... llFullInfo )
by ericeslinger » Tue May 16, 2017 2:26 pm
yah, that one seems pretty well-reviewed.

Turns out, though, that updating the firmware on my asus router fixed the wired ethernet problems, so that's good. I'll see how stable the rt-ac68u is. I mean, it wasn't free, but I already paid for it (was using it when I had regular fusion DSL), so it's a sunk cost or whatever.
by pockyken007 » Tue May 16, 2017 2:32 pm
ahhh yes the dreadful firmware updates >_<
by TimeLord04 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:48 pm
Whatever you do, STAY AWAY from the Linksys AC900 Gigabit AC Router. We bought this thing a little over a year ago, and it's been GRIEF for us since installing it. First, out of the box, it REQUIRES configuration VIA Wi-Fi connection; so, we had to use my dad's Laptop to get it set up. Second, it has INTERNAL DNS Routing Issues; first, it had issues getting to Yahoo Mail, then further diagnosis revealed that, (even after reconfiguring DNS Entries as OpenDNS), it had issues on part of Oracle's Website, and other obscure sites that I frequent less often.

We initially thought the issue was DNS Routing problems via the AT&T Pace Gateway feeding to the Linksys. However; now that we've replaced the Linksys with a TP-Link Router, ALL of our Routing Issues have subsided. SAD, because the Linksys AC900 wasn't cheap, either... It was $119 + Tax NEW from Central Computer in Pleasanton, CA.

Anyway, lesson learned... A friend in FL actually recommends Ubiquiti; BUT, these are EXPENSIVE!!! $200+!!!!

TL
by kgc » Wed May 17, 2017 5:23 pm
There's always the option of using a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter with a bespoke wifi deployment of one sort or another.

Anyone tried Amplifi?
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by danielg4 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:41 pm
Having had a Pace 5268AC on FTTN for a couple of months before it could be swapped for the Arris NVG599, I would be eager to opt out of renting one again when the fiber gets here in a few months. Some conclusions to be drawn from the following article and others linked from it are inescapable.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/09 ... ompetition
Consumer-grade routers categorically cannot handle a gigabit without "hardware NAT" and even then, they still manage to fail under load, as those tests show. The Ubiquiti devices also cannot handle a gigabit when this "hardware NAT" is turned off. Turning it off may be desirable, because any security problems discovered in it cannot be corrected. Equipment that can handle a gigabit without resorting to "hardware NAT" costs disproportionately more money when it is not based on x86 processors.

The obvious disadvantage to the Qotom device in the article is that it precludes the possibility of a gigabit over integrated wifi: Quantenna is now manufacturing draft-802.11ax parts in place of 802.11ac parts, but they require a PCIe bus rather than the USB that the Qotom requires for integrated wifi. The two other seemingly obvious contenders for a board to base a DIY device on are the PCEngines APU2, or for twice as much money, the Netgate RCC-VE. Other candidates cost even more. The obvious disadvantage of the APU2 is that it has only three Ethernet ports rather than any kind of switch capable of VLAN tagging. The Netgate board uses more electrical power, and it's already rare even now for the PG&E bill not to show a Tier 2 on it.

Thoughts?
by pockyken007 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:04 am
if you got the dough Meraki ain't half bad but it does have the license fee ... so there is that .
by johnrtalbott » Tue May 23, 2017 1:09 pm
We've used the Mikrotik router board products for 5 years now and they are rock solid and inexpensive. We only use the wired router, so I can't speak to the 802.11*** products, though I imagine they work. We use the Ubiquiti access point for our wireless and it solved all the problems we had with various TP-Link and Linksys products. We don't have the gigabit fiber service yet (counting down the days), but I imagine I'll have to replace the Mikrotik with the newer version to get the bandwidth. At $50 for five years, I'm okay with that.

Buyer beware: Mikrotik's RouterOS is not for the technophobe. It's a professional product with professional capabilities. The documentation is good and the examples meet all my needs for a small office router. But I haven't taken the time to really learn how to use the product nor have I tried most of the features so I've avoided really messing things up around here:) We also use Synology products and find them to be much friendlier than Mikrotik or Ubiquiti, but equally powerful and stable. You do want to make sure your firewall is on, working and verified.
9 posts Page 1 of 1