Is Torrenting Allowed with Sonic Fiber Gigabit?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
14 posts Page 1 of 2
by CuriousSonic » Mon May 15, 2017 2:17 pm
I ordered Sonic a few days ago and I wanted to be sure if it was okay to Torrent?
by amayfield » Mon May 15, 2017 2:25 pm
If you are asking if you're allowed to download the new episode of American Gods - we do not condone or advocate piracy. But torrenting in and of itself is not an illegal activity (Blizzard for instance utilizes P2P torrenting for patch releases for World of Warcraft). Sonic does not monitor or police your usage.
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by CuriousSonic » Mon May 15, 2017 2:33 pm
Thanks for the quick response! I ask because I currently have AT&T and I have gotten a few emails from them whenever I did a bit of torrenting (of any kind). How do you guys know what is legitimate torrenting vs "illegal torrenting"?
by amayfield » Mon May 15, 2017 2:40 pm
The rights holder of the content will send us a DMCA notice. If the DMCA notice has merit we are compelled to take action, though I must re-iterate - we do not police or monitor your usage.
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by pockyken007 » Mon May 15, 2017 3:22 pm
CuriousSonic wrote:I ordered Sonic a few days ago and I wanted to be sure if it was okay to Torrent?
Torrenting movies , music and any software protected by the copyrights is illegal ... said that sonic doesn't monitor nor do they police your usage ... 8-)
by dane » Mon May 15, 2017 5:44 pm
Careful here. If you are getting notices from your ISP due to piracy, the next item you could see is a lawsuit against you by the copyright holder. This can be very costly, in defense or in penalty, so it's recommended that you don't do that.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by soniclurker » Tue May 16, 2017 12:23 pm
dane wrote:Careful here. If you are getting notices from your ISP due to piracy, the next item you could see is a lawsuit against you by the copyright holder. This can be very costly, in defense or in penalty, so it's recommended that you don't do that.
Curious as I have not received a DMCA notice before on sonic service. Have you guys ever served one to one of your clients?
by steelgaze » Tue May 16, 2017 1:05 pm
by soniclurker » Tue May 16, 2017 2:59 pm
Very good to know. This is why I love Sonic.
by pockyken007 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:23 pm
soniclurker wrote:
Very good to know. This is why I love Sonic.

didn't you switch to Comcast ???? :shock: :shock:
14 posts Page 1 of 2