enable USB wifi adapterr to see 5.2 GHz

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
1 post Page 1 of 1
by lanewalton » Mon May 01, 2017 1:27 pm
My built-in notebook computer wifi adapter card was b/g/n so it could not see the 5.2 GHz Broadband wifi signal. I bought a USB dual wifi adapter (Satechi USB 3.0 wifi adapter), Initially it would not show the 5.2 GHz wifi signal, only the 2.4 GHz signal. The fix was to go into the properties of that wifi adapter and in the advanced section there are multiple items to choose from. At the bottom of the list is VHT 2.4G. Turns out 2.4 GHz signal is HT ( high throughput) and 5.2 GHz is VHT ( very high throughput) - this VHT capability needs to be enabled in order for the USB adapter to see 5.2 GHz wifi signal. I don't know why the selection is written "VHT 2.4G", since 2.4 is HT and 5.2 is VHT. But long story short, if you are new to fibre broadband from sonic and your computer device built in wifi adapter is limited to b/g/n, a simple fix is buy a low cost USB wifi adapter and then in the property advanced settings be sure VHT is enabled. Hope this helps.
1 post Page 1 of 1