Router based VPN

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by kylelumley » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:38 pm
I recently got a leased AT&T FTTN line on an Arris NVG589 modem delivered to my home. When i initially talked to the sales rep i was told i could configure the VPN client on the modem i would be receiving and tunnel all traffic through Sonic.net. I called Sonic's support line today and was told that absolutely was not possible with the modem i had, that i needed a third party router behind the modem. No problem, I have a Sonicwall installed behind the modem in pass-through mode already. The support rep's recommendation was to post the question here in the forum as that is not an officially supported configuration.

As you can guess, i'm not super impressed with Sonic so far.... Any configuration settings or tips from you guys wold much appreciated.
by TimeLord04 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:29 pm
WOW!!!! Sonicwall!!!! :-) I haven't seen one since I left a local company in San Ramon in 2001. Back then, it was TOP RATED for Firewall capability.

I hope someone here is able to help you out; I'd be interested to know if this can be made to function for you, or anyone else interested in this configuration.

Good luck my friend.

Scott
aka: TimeLord04
U-Verse FTTN Customer - 45 Mb Internet
[I WANT Fiber To The Home - Please help us, Dane!!!]
by kylelumley » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:55 am
They've come a long way since 2001.... Confirmed with Sonicwall there is no built-in Open VPN client on their devices. Any chance of doing a point-to-point VPN?
by derek » Tue May 02, 2017 2:01 am
There is the deprecated Cisco IPSEC VPN that may work for you (for no idea how much longer)

https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/VPN_Service ... _client.3F

https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Cisco_VPN_Client

You may want to instead invest in something with an openvpn client built-in instead though. I've just configured a consumer router with 3rd-party firmware from dd-wrt to connect to the openvpn.
by Bob F. » Tue May 02, 2017 11:56 am
I have for a whole house solution using an Asus AC66U that includes an Open VPN client. Very easy to implement (import Sonic's certificate, activate the client, and all's good. I have my Tivo excluded from the VPN in order to ensure better connectivity with Tivo, Amazon, etc. The exclusion is also simple to impllement.

Bob
5 posts Page 1 of 1