Bandwith drops during peak times?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by agav » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:03 am
I see bandwith drops on my Fusion DSL line very often. Mostly in the evenings, but no statistical evidence there...

Although my modem syncs at the usual 10Mbits, download speeds can slow down up to 100kbits. Upload seems to be mostly unaffected. Then again, is mostly works at full speed at all other times.

I am curious if someone knows whats going on... Peak time and network congested? Any reasons why a line could slow down significantly like this?
by virtualmike » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:56 pm
Are you sure it's your line, as opposed to the sites you're visiting?

What happens if you test with Sonic.net's Speed Test or using the FTP test?
by dane » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:44 pm
Any other potential sources of usage on your LAN? Someone hogging your WiFi and watching Netflix? :)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by agav » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:09 pm
virtualmike wrote:Are you sure it's your line, as opposed to the sites you're visiting?

What happens if you test with Sonic.net's Speed Test or using the FTP test?
yes, it happens with both. i usually test with the Ooklaa speed test.

Nobody in my WiFi... WPA2 and only I know the password. Nothing registered on Router either.
by virtualmike » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:39 pm
I'd recommend calling Support while you're noticing the slowdown. The tech can check your line statistics and run some diagnostics.
by thulsa_doom » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:52 pm
I took a quick look at your line and, over the three-day sample I looked at, I only see any appreciable number of errors on the line between roughly 6am and 6pm. This is basically the opposite of what I would expect based on your described problem. I took the liberty of making a modest adjustment to your SNR margin and downstream cap, as it looked like you were hard up against the speed your line could sync at.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
6 posts Page 1 of 1