FTTH in Danville, CA.

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
12 posts Page 1 of 2
by TimeLord04 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:27 am
Danville is an East Bay city. The residents of Danville are supportive and WANT FTTH Gigabit Internet!

I speak for many Danville residents whom are tired of limited competition between Comcast XFINITY, and AT&T U-Verse. Unfortunately, there seems to be NO other competition in our area.

Sonic currently offers services run over AT&T backbone; but, this is limited to FTTN and AT&T seems to NOT be interested in upgrading the existing areas of Danville to FTTH.

Is Sonic investigating the East Bay area for growth potential, and expansion of FTTH for East Bay residents??? Danville residents are ready for Gigabit, and would drop AT&T and Comcast in a heartbeat if someone like Sonic would offer true FTTH solutions.

I'm a Shadow Hills HOA resident, and our AT&T VRAD sits at 1001 El Capitan Drive. How hard, really, is it to eliminate this VRAD, tie into the existing Fiber backbone, and expand to FTTH for Shadow Hills; or anywhere else that AT&T has Fiber in the streets already???

Residents of Danville stand ready to upgrade, just give us the word that Sonic is willing to meet us on delivery of Gigabit Internet.

Sincerely,

Scott Kuehner
IT Technician
aka: TimeLord04
by TimeLord04 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:50 pm
Please, anyone else in Danville care to comment or add a question??? Sonic currently ONLY offers services in Danville OVER the AT&T Fiber Backbone via FTTN, (or VRAD), and from the Node/VRAD is copper to the home(s). Sonic is quoting 50 Mb service over this existing framework. (AT&T ONLY quotes us up to 45 Mb; but, speedtest.net reflects my family's service hitting the 50 mark without HD Streams recording on our U-300 Service.)

Dane, is Sonic considering expansion in cities like Danville???

Scott
aka: TimeLord04
by GoneDude » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:42 am
There's not a lot of reason to be optimistic, I'm afraid. Back when Sonic first began its three FTTH builds (Sebastapol, SF, Brentwood), and when Google Fiber was announcing new cities all over the place, things seemed pretty hopeful for fiber to come to places like Danville. As things stand today, Google Fiber has thrown in the towel, and Sonic has announced zero new FTTH deployments over, what, the last five years, and is now in Hail Mary mode with a rate increase that will drive away the last remaining ADSL customers and some of the FTTN customers ... it no longer looks promising. :-(
by TimeLord04 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:08 pm
UPDATE:
10-9-2017

COMCASST/XFINITY is starting to roll out Gigabit over COAX in surrounding areas, and MAY soon be available in my part of Danville...

HOWEVER; COMCAST Gigabit is NOT symetrical; the salesman that came to our door stated that it tops out on SpeedTest as approaching the HIGH 800 Mb DL Speeds, and around 41 Mb UL Speeds.

ARE WE FOREVER DOOMED in Danville from EVER getting Sonic Fiber Symmetrical Gigabit Internet????

The COMCAST guy was here last week...

TL
by TimeLord04 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:15 pm
10-16-2017 at 12:11 PM - PDT

No response to my 10-9-2017 Post...???...???

Anyone at Sonic have information on ANY plans for Danville since COMCAST/XFINITY is releasing Gigabit over COAX??? I would prefer to go Sonic for Gigabit than the EVIL ENTITY Comcast...

Current Sonic sales are over AT&T FTTN in Danville at the moment. It would be REALLY NICE if Fiber from Sonic would be introduced here to compete against COMCAST/XFINITY.

Latest rumors about AT&T is that they have NO PLANS for Fiber in my part of Danville. (Shadow Hills HOA. 200+ Homes in the HOA.)

TL
by steelgaze » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:52 pm
Sonic's not coming if a competitor rolls out fiber in the area. Not sure about what they would consider Comcast coax, but I think it doesn't look good for Danville.

EDIT:
Seems like you might be living in a semi-private HOA section of land. I assume everything is undergrounded since it's probably new construction. If there's no empty conduit placed in the street during the initial developmenet, you're SOL. I'd assume there will be no Sonic Fiber for the forseeable future.
by TimeLord04 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:35 am
steelgaze wrote:Sonic's not coming if a competitor rolls out fiber in the area. Not sure about what they would consider Comcast coax, but I think it doesn't look good for Danville.

EDIT:
Seems like you might be living in a semi-private HOA section of land. I assume everything is undergrounded since it's probably new construction. If there's no empty conduit placed in the street during the initial developmenet, you're SOL. I'd assume there will be no Sonic Fiber for the forseeable future.
Yes, the HOA is Semi-Private. The HOA Clubhouse is at 1001 El Capitan Drive. This is ALSO where the AT&T VRAD resides. Fiber IS in the streets in Danville to various VRADS.

I'm NOT sure WHEN Sonic started offering services over our local AT&T Fiber To The Node(s) in our area; just that Sonic is available over FTTN. Both AT&T and Sonic are offering 50Mb at our residence. (50Mb is MAX right now.) We are still currently with U-Verse, have the 50Mb Internet Package, and U-300 TV Service Package.

The immediate neighboring HOA is Greenbrook. Three blocks South of me is the Crow Canyon Country Club. So, there are PLENTY of potential Sonic Fiber, Gigabit, customers here. MANY of these residents HATE both Comcast and AT&T...

TL
by steelgaze » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:28 am
AT&T is NOT interested in sharing any future FTTH they would install. They are also not obligated in doing so.

Sonic and AT&T has setup a reselling agreement to run over the FTTN lines at comparable rates to what AT&T would charge anyways. Since the price points are similar, it doesn't hurt AT&T if a customer signs up for Sonic FTTN. I am sure there is language in the agreement that AT&T gets some cut from a Sonic FTTN customer. If you look at the packages, AT&T has started offering higher tiers but Sonic is still stuck at the old 24/50mbps down packages because of the previously mentioned agreement. AT&T really has no obligations to share it's infrastructure with a competitor.

AT&T is simply not going to invest millions of dollars in a build out just so they can let a competitor come in on the same lines, and undercut them. Sorry, you're really not making the case any better.
by TimeLord04 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:22 am
steelgaze wrote:AT&T is NOT interested in sharing any future FTTH they would install. They are also not obligated in doing so.

Sonic and AT&T has setup a reselling agreement to run over the FTTN lines at comparable rates to what AT&T would charge anyways. Since the price points are similar, it doesn't hurt AT&T if a customer signs up for Sonic FTTN. I am sure there is language in the agreement that AT&T gets some cut from a Sonic FTTN customer. If you look at the packages, AT&T has started offering higher tiers but Sonic is still stuck at the old 24/50mbps down packages because of the previously mentioned agreement. AT&T really has no obligations to share it's infrastructure with a competitor.

AT&T is simply not going to invest millions of dollars in a build out just so they can let a competitor come in on the same lines, and undercut them. Sorry, you're really not making the case any better.
All I was saying is that Sonic CURRENTLY IS available in our area THROUGH the AT&T Network via FTTN. I listed the surrounding area to show that there are PLENTY of POTENTIAL customers here READY for FTTH, IF Sonic were to implement it here. Shadow Hills is SIMPLY a SMALL HOA of just 200+ Homes; BUT, that we have a HUGE base of POTENTIAL customers here READY for Gigabit.

I believe it was mentioned in SEVERAL Threads here, (months ago), that IF customers switched from AT&T to Sonic over the available AT&T Network of FTTN to "...broaden the Sonic Customer Base..." that Sonic would consider getting FTTH "...faster..." Unfortunately, since Sonic does NOT offer a TV Package directly, our residents here are more hesitant to make the immediate switch. As stated, we are currently with AT&T AND have the U-300 TV Service, in addition to our 50Mb Internet Package. We switched YEARS ago, running kicking and screaming AWAY from Comcast back then. It's probably been something on the order of 10 years, now. However; many people here have Home businesses, and have Satellite for TV Service. THESE people are PRIME for FTTH via Sonic, because they DEFINITELY want the FASTEST Internet speeds available! They would, in turn, recommend Sonic FTTH to their neighbors here, IF it were available.

TL
by Sineira » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:56 pm
Anybody heard anything new on FTTH in Danville?
I only have Comcast cable and AT&T ADSL ... going nuts.
12 posts Page 1 of 2