Using WiFi (for newbies)

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by tikvah » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:58 pm
I finally got a laptop!! MacBook Pro running Lion. This is a new thing for me. I've never used WiFi except to connect to private home broadband service. So color me clueless on the connection part.

I would like to be able to take my laptop places and use it. Mostly in or near Petaluma, but elsewhere too. Is there a list somewhere of free WiFi? Is there a list of Sonic.net WiFi that I can use since I have a Fusion account? I assume the public free ones are straightforward to connect to. Just use the menu icon for WiFi and pick one that doesn't require a password. But how do I log on to Sonic ones? Are there Sonic ones?

I'm going to be traveling to Southern Calif in a couple of weeks and would like help connecting. The friend I'm staying with in LA has broadband with WiFi so that will be easy to use. And if I take my laptop to the Convention I'm attending, they're having free WiFi. But what if I'd like to use the computer anywhere else? Are there maps? Sonic WiFi in SoCal and points between? Other paid networks you have reciprocity with to give free connections to Sonic customers? I hope to travel to the East Coast of the US and Canada in the summer too.

I have searched the Sonic FAQ and this forum and only found info about installing VPN. I discovered the notice about how it doesn't work with Lion *after* I installed it and got an error message when I tried to open the program. So I followed your directions for installing a VPN interface under the Network System Preferences. But I have no idea what to do with it.

So advice on what to do to get service would be very welcome.

Also, my old PDA doesn't work with Lion so a friend is giving me her old iPhone G3. I am not going to put phone/internet service on it. But can I use it in places where there is WiFi? Is there a FAQ?

Thanks!
Cyndi
by tjj » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:34 pm
Hello Cyndi,

We do not have WiFi spots or contract with anyone for this service either. There is the Sonic.net provided Airporter shuttle that we provide service to, but that is limited to that specific bus line. You should be able to connect to any open WiFi hotspot (which seem to be increasing, especially at places like Starbucks and book retailers like Barnes and Noble). We do suggest that you connect to the VPN when you are using open WiFi like those for added security of e-mail passwords and just plain browsing in general as it provides an encrypted connection from your computer to our data center in Santa Rosa.

Otherwise, you should be able to do a web search for "free WiFi" and find some sites that have listings on them.
Tage J.
Sonic.net Customer Support
by Jan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:06 pm
Hi,

So just to clarify, if I opt to go with your services, I would get phone and internet but no WiFi?

Thanks.

Jan
by virtualmike » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:34 pm
You would get WiFi in your home (or business, whichever you subscribe) with Sonic.net Fusion. However, Sonic.net does not have hotspots elsewhere.
4 posts Page 1 of 1