Help with setting up a TP-Link TD-8816, or suggested alternatives

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by alan.oehler » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:17 am
My old Zoom ADSL modem seemed to be giving up the ghost, losing connection more and more frequently over the recent month or so until, this past weekend, it was happening multiple times a day. If I power-cycled it, it would work again for a while.

So I decided to get a new device and see if that solved my problem. Based on this guidance from Sonic Support:
If you are looking at purchasing your own equipment, we don't make any specific recommendations. But you just need to look for a DSL modem that uses DHCP for it's IP protocol (not PPPoe).
I ended up ordering a TP-Link TD-8816. I installed it, the lights all looked proper, and hooked up to its admin console and ran the quick setup wizard, choosing Dynamic IP when prompted for the IP protocol (the default was Bridged). It didn't work, so I called Sonic Support. During our session, the internet connection came back on for a bit, but then disappeared again. So it seemed like maybe there were just a few specific parameter that needed to be tweaked. There was an article on the Sonic Support Knowledgebase that described setting up an older TP-Link device so I hoped that might offer some clues. After my call was over Sunday evening, the connection was back and seemed solid, and I went to sleep hoping everything was OK.

But waking up Monday morning, I powered the device down so I could run the power cable behind the cabinet rather than the front, and on powering up, I again had no internet connection.

I sighed and swapped the Zoom back in until I could investigate further, but now the Zoom doesn't work at all any more – the ADSL light never comes on.

I sent another Tech Support request asking for alternatives if I still couldn't make the TP-Link work after looking at the KB article, and was told:
Make sure the TP-Link is configured with VPI: 0 and VCI: 35, using LLC based bridging. Make sure PPPoE is disabled. Beyond that, the only other resource for modems that will work, would be feedback from other Sonic customers on our community forum
I tried those settings, but no joy.

So I'm doing what the Sonic support guy suggested and reaching out here. Does anyone have one of these units successfully running with Sonic's service? And if so, can you share the settings? If not, can anyone recommend another device that works?

Thanks in advance!
by Midemrecjfjc » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:03 am
It definitely depends on what technology your line is using. I have VDSL X2, and I'm successfully using the KW5225 with a firmware update found on the Sonic forums. There were definitely some requirements for VDSL2 and pair bonding. (PTM, i think).

I also saw a post somewhere that they had problems with one of interleave or fast-path mode and had to switch either their router or their Sonic service option (I believe this is only an option for ADSL).

Here's a partial list that works:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2649&p=30545#p30545
by alan.oehler » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:18 am
Thanks for the reply. As things turned out, I backed out the settings the Sonic tech last recommended by re-running the wizard and going back to what had seemed to be working on Sunday evening. It worked again and was stable as far as I know for over 24 hours now. I'll give it another day or so to be sure, then I'll publish my settings on that thread.
by Emraguso » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:51 pm
I would like to know your settings. I'm having issues too !
4 posts Page 1 of 1