New ATT FTTN speed tiers being deployed

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
36 posts Page 1 of 4
by guest1313 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:21 pm
Hey @Sonic. It appears ATT has now been rolling out new speed tiers across their network.

So now a lot of 75 mbps capable customers can do 100 / 20, 75 / 20, 50 / 10, 25 / 5 and so on for quite the competitive price even if they're promo's.

See: https://www.att.net/speedtiers

See: My parents place which is using Sonic FTTN x2 @ 50 and paying $90 a month after the $10 price hike.......

Any plans to take advantage of these new plans with higher upload speeds? TBH, it's quite tempting to go for it as my parents will get double the download and upload speeds for basically the same price (with ATT unlt'd phone + a VPN subscription)....

See: http://i.imgur.com/bbycUdW.png

See: http://i.imgur.com/kAWQF3h.png
by sonic guest » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:39 pm
It would be great if X1 can get 5Mbps upload.
by dane » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:17 pm
Gotta read the fine print:

*** Available in Lansing, MI South Bend, IN and Wichita, KS Only
**** Available in Wichita, KS Only
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by pockyken007 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:30 pm
dane wrote:Gotta read the fine print:

Nobody reads the fine print anymore then they come crying that they didn't see it or that they are being taken advantage of ... ( see price increase thread for prime examples ) :roll: :roll: :roll:
by oddhack » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:08 pm

In Alameda, AT&T is currently offering 2-2.5x the performance of Sonic with 1 TB data cap and no modem rental fee for $30/month less than Sonic in the first year, $10 less in future years. That will buy a lot of VPN.
by timyu94 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:34 pm

It's available In sacramento and davis. I just checked. My parents place also qualifies for Internet 100 / 20 and 50 / 10, and multiple locations in Davis, CA also qualifies for Internet 25 / 50.

Looks like people in DSLreports also see it in other areas not limited to those locations: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31333 ... olling-out

Might want to look into it because it is quite a attractive price now for the service even with a VPN subscription....
by dane » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:42 pm
Interesting. I will dig deeper.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Bobf » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:54 pm
I just checked my address in Berkeley with AT&T and the offers include 50 Mbps and 100 Mbps down for $40 and $60/month respectively (no upload speeds shown); 1 yr commitment and then a $10/month increase. The gateway router is included at no extra cost but there is a $99 installation fee.

Bob
by Alameda Sonic User » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:43 pm
oddhack wrote:

In Alameda, AT&T is currently offering 2-2.5x the performance of Sonic with 1 TB data cap and no modem rental fee for $30/month less than Sonic in the first year, $10 less in future years. That will buy a lot of VPN.
I see only one speed tier in Alameda,18Mbps for $40. Is that the plan you were referring to?
Sonic provides me with a very similar speed profile, 18Mbps/2.3Mbps sync speeds
by oddhack » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:31 pm
Alameda Sonic User wrote:I see only one speed tier in Alameda,18Mbps for $40. Is that the plan you were referring to?
Sonic provides me with a very similar speed profile, 18Mbps/2.3Mbps sync speeds
I see "Internet 100" (really 80-100) $60/mo first year, $80 second year, router included. It is likely address dependent - there is what appears to be an AT&T VRAD within half a block.

My Sonic connection goes to the Alameda CO, about 2500' away, and after the AT&T guy did some sorting of lines and rerouting a line that went a block in the wrong direction and came back, I get a hair over 43 Mbps on dual-line VDSL2. That does barely meet the performance tier I'm paying (over $90/month now) for, but is considerably slower than I had expected at this distance. The modem shows ca. 21-22 db attentuation, which is AFAICT about 6 db higher than nominal for this distance, and causes about a 35% performance loss relative to the theoretical speed-vs-distance graphs - part of the problem may be that one line appears capped an an artificially low limit, but that still wouldn't help more than 10% or so.

So it's a pretty compelling price/performance difference in favor of the AT&T plan. "Internet 50" is even more compelling as it delivers somewhat greater performance than Sonic today, at dramatically lower cost (even after the 1st year discount expires).

Mesh wireless may be available on much of the island soon from other providers, so there is a looming alternative other than Comcast/AT&T, both of whom I loathe.
36 posts Page 1 of 4