New ATT FTTN speed tiers being deployed

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
36 posts Page 3 of 4
by pockyken007 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:40 pm
The 50 MBPS is a hard cap that ATT puts on the line as that is the service / speed that they sell to SONIC . If SONIC was to negotiate with ATT for higher speed tiers I believe the next tier that ATT offers on their website is 75 mbps
by rlad » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:52 pm
Right, I understand that Sonic would need to make a deal with ATT to provide the 100Mbps profile, but since my line (and probably a lot of others) are connecting at over 100Mbps, my question is still:

When can we get this? And can it be soon, please?
by Guest » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:57 pm
Dane mentioned Sonic investigating higher speed tiers from AT&T earlier in this thread. Any update?
by dane » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:18 pm
Guest wrote:Dane mentioned Sonic investigating higher speed tiers from AT&T earlier in this thread. Any update?
Nope, not yet.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by aluk » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:16 am
It looks like AT&T pricing is much more competitive than Sonic.net now. $40/mo for 50mbps and $60 for 100mpbs for the first year and then extra $10 after the promo period. They also don't charge for the modem rental which Sonic does for the FTTN service. Will Sonic match these prices as I am currently paying close to $70 for the FTTN ATT 25mbps service? To upgrade to 50mbps on Sonic it will cost me even more at $70 not including the ~$15 equipment rental and fees. Am I missing something here?
by pockyken007 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:40 am
aluk wrote:It looks like AT&T pricing is much more competitive than Sonic.net now. $40/mo for 50mbps and $60 for 100mpbs for the first year and then extra $10 after the promo period. They also don't charge for the modem rental which Sonic does for the FTTN service. Will Sonic match these prices as I am currently paying close to $70 for the FTTN ATT 25mbps service? To upgrade to 50mbps on Sonic it will cost me even more at $70 not including the ~$15 equipment rental and fees. Am I missing something here?

ATT does deep packet scanning and monitors your network traffic , on top of that they keep network logs for months / years and most likely sell your browsing patterns to other companies ... so while sonic might be more expensive ( after all they resell ATT uverse with FTTN and both companies have to make a profit on this deal so the price margin might be higher ) the security that you get with sonic is that they care about your personal info , do not hold onto browsing data longer than it's necessary and generally are consumer oriented rather than profit oriented .
by JDL » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:23 am
pockyken007 wrote:
aluk wrote:It looks like AT&T pricing is much more competitive than Sonic.net now. $40/mo for 50mbps and $60 for 100mpbs for the first year and then extra $10 after the promo period. They also don't charge for the modem rental which Sonic does for the FTTN service. Will Sonic match these prices as I am currently paying close to $70 for the FTTN ATT 25mbps service? To upgrade to 50mbps on Sonic it will cost me even more at $70 not including the ~$15 equipment rental and fees. Am I missing something here?

ATT does deep packet scanning and monitors your network traffic , on top of that they keep network logs for months / years and most likely sell your browsing patterns to other companies ... so while sonic might be more expensive ( after all they resell ATT uverse with FTTN and both companies have to make a profit on this deal so the price margin might be higher ) the security that you get with sonic is that they care about your personal info , do not hold onto browsing data longer than it's necessary and generally are consumer oriented rather than profit oriented .
Fair points. Personally, I will be moving away from Sonic at the end of my contract if they do not start to offer the faster speeds. I can easily pass all my traffic through an encrypted tunnel and still get better throughput for less money, including the cost of a VPN service. (Obvious caveats for things like Netflix are noted and understood.) Many of the things I need to accomplish are simply not possible with 6Mbps upstream.

I have enjoyed my Sonic service and strongly agree with the position on privacy. I encourage Sonic to close the deal with AT&T as soon as possible on the faster offerings so I do not have to take my business elsewhere.
by mquiazon » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:03 pm
pockyken007 wrote: ATT does deep packet scanning and monitors your network traffic , on top of that they keep network logs for months / years and most likely sell your browsing patterns to other companies ... so while sonic might be more expensive ( after all they resell ATT uverse with FTTN and both companies have to make a profit on this deal so the price margin might be higher ) the security that you get with sonic is that they care about your personal info , do not hold onto browsing data longer than it's necessary and generally are consumer oriented rather than profit oriented .
That's something that I don't think I've seen spelled out explicitly. Sonic can enforce consumer-friendly policies like no throttling, unlimited data caps, and customer privacy on their own network, but do those of us on the resold AT&T FTTN offering get those benefits as well?

I found this post by miken that says the AT&T agreement forbids them from monitoring traffic of Sonic customers: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4801&p=33277#p33270

I think that's great, and something that justifies going with Sonic over AT&T. It'd be nice to have those details easily available, and it'd make for a nice summary when I try to explain to other people why they should consider Sonic as an alternative to AT&T and Comcast.
by danielg4 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:21 pm
pockyken007 wrote:

Don't forget the overage fees if you hit their data caps…
That is an actual cost difference, rather than merely service.
by gambler » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:45 pm
I'm also in Alameda and I'm pretty sick of paying $60 to build speed for *other* people while I creep along at 6.6/.9
36 posts Page 3 of 4