Dedicated IP with FTTN

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by richkatz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:55 am
A while back, my existing Sonic service was upgraded to FTTN. Before the change, I had a dedicated IP address. I was willing to give that up to get the increased speed. I was told at that time to check back later to see if there was a change that allowed the dedicated IP again. Have there been any changes?

Thanks
by miken » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:13 am
No. We don't currently offer Static IPs on Fusion FTTN. However, the way that infrastructure handles IP addressing means that you don't have to worry about it changing often, if ever: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17680
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by richkatz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:17 am
Thank you. "Sort-of-static" is less useful than static, but may be usable.
by pockyken007 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:46 am
You can always try other solutions to get a " semi static " IP ...
by bischof » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:54 pm
Hi All

I see that Sonic still chooses to not offer static IP with FTTN, so I'll join the chorus: I really want to stay with Sonic, but am about completely tired of DSL. And I really need a block of static IP's. Now sure I suppose a block of reserved DHCP's would be adequate, but that's not available any more than static is.

Just talked to ATT this morning and they offer static IP's (extra fee of course) for their FTTN. Unless I am incorrect, Sonic's service is ATT FTTN underneath, so:

If ATT FTTN is available with static, why won't Sonic offer such?

Again, I really want to stay with Sonic, but even business-class connectivity without static IP? That just doesn't compute.

Stan Bischof
by bobrk » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:46 am
Maybe ATT does not offer the static IP product to Sonic.
by bischof » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:41 am
Howdy

After consulting with Sonic and then ATT I decided on a hybrid solution that is working quite well so far.

Namely bypass Sonic's leased ATT lines and instead go directly to ATT for the network connection. But at the same time keep Sonic for everything else (email, hosting,etc.).

So now I'm all set with 50Mb FTTN with Static IP (bank of 5 usable) but still have Sonic for email and so on. More hassle (don't get me started on the issue of ATT "support") but at the same time I get the best of both worlds since I only have to deal with ATT on direct connection issues but get Sonic's great service for everything else.

regards
Stan
by bischof » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:16 am
Hi All

As I posted a little while back, after finding out that Sonic has chosen to not offer Static IP via FTTN I decided to try a hybrid solution: deal directly with ATT for the FTTN and stay with Sonic for everything else. This keeps the great Sonic support but gets fast network.

It has been about a week now and everything is working great now, though path had a few pitfalls. Have good solid 50/10 service that could for a few $$ be expended to about 70/10 (I'm about 2k ft from node).

A few things I learned:
(1) ignore what ATT support says about setting up their gateway for static IP- they clearly don't know how. I started with their instructions and quickly found it was untenable. Instead did what made sense and later verified the solution with their installers.
(2) the ATT field folks are very good
(3) ignore what ATT sales says about Static IP requiring Business class service. Talk to the installers directly- static is orthogonal to business vs residential.
(4) ATT offers virtually zero service beyond the connection itself: hence stay with Sonic for everything else.

Stan
8 posts Page 1 of 1