Att fiber = access?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
10 posts Page 1 of 1
by amrivlin » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:05 pm
If my neighborhood offers ATT fiber, can I get Sonic? Or this partnership no longer exists?
by dane » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:19 pm
Sonic offers Fusion service over a number of platforms, including ATT FTTN and FTTP. You can get details for your site by inputting your address at http://sonic.com
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by nickijon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:07 am
I just ran the availability tool on Sonic and on Att. Sonic shows max of 50mbps, att shows 1000mbps fiber available.

How can we get Sonic service on att's gigabit fiber (FTTP?)? This is for my parents. Can't stand their current internet situation when we visit.
by dane » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:16 am
Today the 50Mbps is the fastest product that we have bulk wholesale access to. We continue to press for faster service, including gigabit. But that said, the gig service is expensive - are you sure 50Mbps wouldn't meet their needs?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by pockyken007 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:37 am
I had the 50 MBPS FTTN service from SONIC before fiber arrived to my area and I can tell you now that it was fast , reliable and installation was pretty straight forward ( the ATT tech that came was done in around 1hr30min ) . My wife is an avid user of netflix and streaming services while I am an avid gamer with 50 mbps we had enough bandwidth to stream her netflix , I could play my games and I still had enough bandwidth to spare ... so unless you have plethora of TV's streaming 4k netflix I would think 50 mbps is more than enough for an average user needs .
by Mahera » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:50 am
dane wrote:Today the 50Mbps is the fastest product that we have bulk wholesale access to. We continue to press for faster service, including gigabit. But that said, the gig service is expensive - are you sure 50Mbps wouldn't meet their needs?

Ia
Not sure if I am missing something here Dane.

Giga is expensive?
I am sure is well cheaper hen the 90 dollar I pay for 50Mbit beschaue of bundled pairs.

If they are lucky they get the first year for35 dollar a month.

So, I wouldn't call gig service expensive.
by miken » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:58 am
Mahera wrote:Giga is expensive?
I am sure is well cheaper hen the 90 dollar I pay for 50Mbit beschaue of bundled pairs.

According to their website, their Fiber promotional pricing is 80/mo for the first 12 months, plus taxes and fees. No mention of what rates are outside of the first 12 months. Source: https://www.att.com/internet/fiber.html

That's also not to mention the added value of our privacy practices, considering how things have been going. https://www.aclu.org/news/aclu-comment- ... sumer-data
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by dane » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:39 am
Mahera wrote:
dane wrote:Today the 50Mbps is the fastest product that we have bulk wholesale access to. We continue to press for faster service, including gigabit. But that said, the gig service is expensive - are you sure 50Mbps wouldn't meet their needs?

Ia
Not sure if I am missing something here Dane.

Giga is expensive?

AT&T's "Gigapower" service is $70-$80/mo promotional, then $120/mo. And not available via Sonic - our max speed offer via their network is 50Mbps.

My point was that for many households, lower speed and lower cost service is a better fit. With video streams requiring 4-8Mbps, folks buying "as fast as possible" internet may be paying more than they need to.

(Of course, Sonic is happy to offer $40 gigabit service, where we have our own fiber, and we don't offer lower speeds at lower costs, because that's artificial and silly!)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by nickijon » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:59 am
The ATT gigabit fiber product is only appealing because it has an 'unlimited' cap. Maybe they'll throttle like they do with our FTTN, but it's still 'only' $80-90. We're paying $80+ for FTTN at 50mbps. It's so close in cost (for the first year i guess) that it's worth considering.

For the record, we are getting throttled on certain streaming services with our FTTN product. We're talking flat line 2-3 Mbps during certain times. Instantly goes up to 24Mbps+ when we use our Sonic VPN. So yes, I agree that the Sonic product has its own very useful features. It's just a hard sell to less tech inclined folks who just glance at speed offerings and their corresponding prices.
by danielg4 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:34 pm
nickijon wrote:The ATT gigabit fiber product is only appealing because it has an 'unlimited' cap. Maybe they'll throttle like they do with our FTTN, but it's still 'only' $80-90. We're paying $80+ for FTTN at 50mbps. It's so close in cost (for the first year i guess) that it's worth considering.

For the record, we are getting throttled on certain streaming services with our FTTN product. We're talking flat line 2-3 Mbps during certain times. Instantly goes up to 24Mbps+ when we use our Sonic VPN. So yes, I agree that the Sonic product has its own very useful features. It's just a hard sell to less tech inclined folks who just glance at speed offerings and their corresponding prices.
That's not because you're on 50Mbps, it's because you're on AT&T, so if you got their fiber, it would stay the same. If you need faster YouTube and you are not in Sonic's fiber area, you are in Comcast's customer base, and they will sell you unlimited for an extra $50/month on top of what you'd pay for the 1TB/month cap, last I checked. The other option is to have both Sonic and AT&T at your address so that you could continue to use the VPN, or just pay a different VPN provider. Without Sonic Gigabit Fiber, there are no cheap options for unlimited service at faster than FTTN speeds.
10 posts Page 1 of 1