Micro-trenching bill introduced in SF: How will this impact Sonic fiber deployment?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by paulgreen » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:19 pm
Good news, that has been a long time coming: Supervisor Mark Farrell introduced a bill to allow for micro-trenching in SF.
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco ... cle_search

For those who don't know, micro-trenching allows for deployment of cables, including those fibers for internet, in parts of the City where there are no overhead wires.

As a resident of the part of the Inner Sunset where utility lines are under-grounded, I am excited by the possibility about getting Sonic FTTH. Of course, nothing moves quickly, so I'm not holding my breath!

However, Dane -- is there an implementation plan in place to quickly start micro-trenching soon after approval by DPW? If so, how long would it take (probably not an easy question to answer!). Also, is there anything that SF residents can do to help move the process along?

--Paul
by pockyken007 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:08 pm
I assume like with every bill it will take months to even get to a vote , after that even if it passes it will take months to get permits ... unless I am mistaken but this is at least MOVE in the RIGHT direction !
by dane » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:19 pm
I'm encouraged by the forward movement by DPW and the Supervisor's office, and appreciate the work and advocacy on the topic!

There is a practical challenge in this legislation: it requires the top of conduit placed to be no less than eighteen inches from the surface. This means you'd need to cut a 22"-24" deep slot. And to do that, the blade width increases from under 1" to a full 2". And as a result, a lot of material needs to be reinstated, including at the surface. And at that depth, you are in conflict with a number of existing utilities - cable and gas are often at the 18"-24" level. That means every one of those must be excavated and worked around.

Microtrenching's strengths are narrow slow, low-impact restoration, and a shallow depth which avoids existing utilities. This means that typical cover over conduits placed using microtrenching is 6"-12" in hardscape environments (under concrete or asphalt.) The width of the slot is one inch or less. The result is limited reinstatement, no conflict with cutting through existing utilities which are 18" and below, and rapid low-impact deployment. Pedestrians and vehicles can walk across an open microtrench of less than 1" (with a warning sign), while a 2" wide slot is not safe for pedestrians. The cut can be made in the joint between sidewalk flags, allowing for reinstatement without pouring entirely new sidewalks.

What this really means is that this microtrenching bill isn't really microtrenching as understood by the industry and as executed in many other large cities around the US. We will continue to work with the Supervisor's office in hopes of making amendments which result in a set of standards that allow for for fiber optic deployment.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by paulgreen » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:25 pm
Thanks Dane, for that detailed response. Given your explanation, it's hard to see why they proposed a more expensive, complex and disruptive method when the shallow micro-trench depth method is well-established.
Good luck with trying to get them to modify the proposed parameters to better fit with a more cost-effective deployment.
by pockyken007 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:59 pm
paulgreen wrote:Thanks Dane, for that detailed response. Given your explanation, it's hard to see why they proposed a more expensive, complex and disruptive method when the shallow micro-trench depth method is well-established.
Good luck with trying to get them to modify the proposed parameters to better fit with a more cost-effective deployment.

Because it's politicians talking about things they know nothing about ... maybe if they consulted with people who actually do this for a living they would have better idea as to what needs to be done .... nevertheless this is a step in the right direction !
by dane » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:49 pm
We are working closely with staff, and the Supervisor's office was made aware of our concerns about depth, and they let us know that they wanted to get the legislative clock going on the proposal so that there were no further delays, with the understanding that the Supervisor's office would be working on amendments to add to the proposal before committee to address the depth concerns.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by pockyken007 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:44 am
Well then I stand corrected . Good Job Dane :)
by RolyTron » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:01 am
Dane,

Is there any update on this bill? Is there anything San Francisco residents can do to help move this forward?
by miken » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:18 am
RolyTron wrote:Dane,

Is there any update on this bill? Is there anything San Francisco residents can do to help move this forward?
This thread has a recent update from Dane: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4950
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
9 posts Page 1 of 1