Unauthorized "guest" network on my 5268ac

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
10 posts Page 1 of 1
by dkenglish7 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:46 am
A scan with Xirrus WiFi Inspector, shows that my Sonic router is advertising an OPEN guest network in the 5GHz band called "Sonic-5574_guest". I had specifically turned OFF all "guest" access to my Sonic line. No one else has access to my router's credentials, so I can only assume Sonic turned it on. Whether accidentally or intentionally, I cannot say.

But I encourage everyone to check their own wifi network, by some tool OTHER than the router configuration pages. You can never know for sure what your ISP is doing. And you might be liable for what is done on your account. :(
by miken » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:24 pm
There is a known bug where a guest network will display for about 60 seconds or so while the modem is booting. This network is a VLAN and does have authentication requirements, as well as the slim window it's available, so you don't have to worry about abuse. It originates from us hoping to rollout the potential for guest networks in the near future. We have updated firmware that we are testing today that actually fixes this issue and we hope to have that rolled out soon.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by dkenglish7 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:25 pm
I can verify that it is intermittent, because it went away for a while yesterday evening. But it is not limited to boot time. My 5268 has been up and stable for about 30 days without booting. The guest network is back this evening, and it has lasted a lot longer than 60 seconds. (300 seconds plus, before I stopped watching.)

You are also wrong about the authentication - I attached to it just now and was not asked for any credential of any sort. I am using it to edit this post.

I hope this isn't some scheme like Comcast's, where every customer's wifi is turned into a "free" hotspot for passers-by.

I have been through every known page of the 5268 Wifi config, and there is NO place for me to turn it off.

Not a happy customer right now.
by miken » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:05 am
We don't run hotspots off of our equipment like that.

If you were willing to try it out, I can push out the newest firmware to your modem. This firmware is still in testing, but we can see if it properly fixes the issue your running into. Your modem would be out for a few minutes while the update is rolled out to it. If that's okay, you can reply on here or send me a PM with a good time to roll the update out.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by sonic guest » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:18 pm
dkenglish7 wrote:You are also wrong about the authentication - I attached to it just now and was not asked for any credential of any sort.
What is the version of your 5268ac firmware?
by dkenglish7 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:06 pm
Firmware - WITH the guest broadcast - 10.5.4.527314-sonic

Am happy to try a different firmware. Anytime on 3/11 or 3/12.

Thanks,
by sonic guest » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:01 pm
Thanks for that dkenglish7. It looks like Sonic is very inconsistent in getting firmware upgraded. My parents' 5286ac is still running 10.5.4.527281-sonic.
by dkenglish7 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:22 pm
After a long delay, Sonic "upgraded" me to a test firmware 10.5.4.527396-sonic, which brings new problems. There is no longer any option to change the wifi encryption key in the 2.4GHz band - only the default key can be used.

There is an option to enable a guest network. Also, I can change the encryption key for 5GHz networks, just not for 2.4 GHz.

I do not like the Pace devices.
by ... » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:17 pm
Buy a dedicated router so you don't have to deal with the supplied one.
by TimeLord04 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:57 pm
... wrote:Buy a dedicated router so you don't have to deal with the supplied one.
One CANNOT bypass the requirement of the PACE 5268AC Gateway... You can "try" to bridge a separate router to the 5268AC; I am doing this myself on AT&T U-Verse with limited success, BUT technically the the U-Verse/Pace Gateways from the 589 forward to the 5268AC are NOT bridgeable...

On U-Verse, with our 5268AC as the primary Gateway, we have connected a Linksys AC900 Dual Band Gigabit Router. Everything "seems" to be working EXCEPT that my parents now CANNOT get Yahoo Mail to sign in when running through the Linksys!!! We get the Blue Spinning Wheel in Firefox's Tab and eventually get a Timed Out response. However; when we switch my parents' computers to the 5268AC directly, (via WiFi Connection), they ARE able to get to Yahoo without incident.

Before anyone goes there, YES, I have disabled the 5268AC's Firewall on the connection to the Linksys. (Followed directions from this Site in another Thread describing how exactly to do this...) So, depending on one's personal Router, one may find issues like we are having, or worse; while some may NOT have issues at all. This seems to be Router specific. For example, my best friend, (whom I've referred to AT&T U-Verse), in San Jose has the EXACT same U-Verse Services that we have, EXCEPT his personal Router is a Netgear. He is able to get to Yahoo without issue...

For us, EVERYTHING else is navigable... GMail, Hushmail, surfing the Web... All works from our Linksys bridged to the 5268AC Gateway.

YMMV
10 posts Page 1 of 1