Google Wifi

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by thomasjlloyd » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:07 pm
I'm a fiber customer in the sunset and happy but have found the wifi range of the Pace router isn't sufficient to cover the whole house. I'm really intrigued by the Google Wifi product and am wondering if anyone has used it with Sonic. If so, do you use in lieu of the Pace router or do you plug into the lan port of the provided router and just disable the pace router's wifi? Any trouble in either approach? Preferably of course I'd just be plugging the Google Wifi system directly without the Pace router at all, but I'm not sure if it works that way?
by xxmadc0wxx » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:51 pm
thomasjlloyd wrote:I'm a fiber customer in the sunset and happy but have found the wifi range of the Pace router isn't sufficient to cover the whole house. I'm really intrigued by the Google Wifi product and am wondering if anyone has used it with Sonic. If so, do you use in lieu of the Pace router or do you plug into the lan port of the provided router and just disable the pace router's wifi? Any trouble in either approach? Preferably of course I'd just be plugging the Google Wifi system directly without the Pace router at all, but I'm not sure if it works that way?
I use the google wifi system and am also located in the sunset. I have the google wifi plugged directly into the ONT (modem) and do not use the Pace router that's supplied. I do however use the 3 pack bundle offered for google wifi which blankets the house in a mesh wifi network. I'm seeing speeds from half way across the street from my house onto the street at around an average of 80Mbps with the primary router at the back of the house (room closest to backyard).

I suggest getting the 3 pack or perhaps looking into the Orbi router by netgear.
by thomasjlloyd » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:21 pm
Awesome. Thanks for the quick response!
by Ehick » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:51 pm
Worked great, thx for the info! I love that Google WiFi connects directly to the data cable.
by Guest2 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:59 pm
I would strongly recommend that you reconsider Google WiFi.
  • Google is well known for losing interest and abandoning products/services. In fact, Google WiFi is essentially a replacement for OnHub that was only released about a year and half ago.
  • Because Google WiFi uses cloud settings, it can break even if you don't do anything. This happened just earlier this year.https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/23/goo ... re-resets/
  • You would loose your home network if your internet goes down. (Some people may not care.)
  • With anything Google, you are the product.
I'm using Orbi myself, and it's been great. Incredible signal strength, and you have access to the advance controls typically found on Netgear routers.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/04 ... king-test/
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireles ... i-reviewed
by Dollhouse » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:43 pm
I've had no issues with google wifi! and so easy to support :P
by parker_day » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:15 pm
Google Wifi (and OnHub, not part of Google Wifi) are so easy to support, and extremely reliable. After having one for six months without a single issue, I got one for my mom and the inlaws. Neither have had issues, but if they do, it's so much easier to troubleshoot.
by Susan » Sun May 17, 2020 12:36 pm
I recently installed the Google mesh. WiFi is fine, but at night the direct Ethernet plugged into the router for our TV is extremely variable. The so-called test of the google system always shows outstanding Numbers, even when it’s obviously inaccurate eg 750 MBPS. The Sonic test reflects results at night down to .1 MBPS and a high during the day of 250 MBPS. Otherwise the mesh has been great in our thick-walled house.
8 posts Page 1 of 1