FTTH in Sunnyvale 94085?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
14 posts Page 1 of 2
by wdbrubaker » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:15 pm
Hi-

AT&T has been laying fiber in the SNAIL neighborhood in 94085 for the past 4-6 months, and AT&T's website now reports that I can currently get 1Gbps fiber run to my house.

However, Sonic's customer service reps aren't showing it (only FTTN is available on their maps and via the member services upgrade tool). Someone down the street from me is reporting on Nextdoor that she's just had fiber run to her house (today), and has Sonic as her ISP. Are your service maps within 94085 (SNAIL neighborhood) actively being updated? When can I have you guys schedule a fiber installation?

Also, I'm kind of miffed that you guys didn't notify me that a FTTN upgrade was available for my address, because I've been chugging along with 5Mbps DSL for the last 3 years.

Thanks!

-Will
by parhelia » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:14 pm
I'm in the same neighborhood, my Sonic FTTN install is tomorrow: see my post here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4375

Sonic doesn't (or can't) resell full Gigabit FTTH, but ATT does pull the fiber into the house.

FYI, this has actually been available for approximately 0 days, I was lead to believe I may be the first person getting setup in the neighborhood. There were some "engineering" issues that delayed it to this week from when I ordered a few weeks ago. I wouldn't blame Sonic for not letting you know its available -- their systems (and ATTs) have said its available for a few weeks, but apparently it wasnt actually ready until today.

Ill post another update in my thread tomorrow if you want some speed tests or other info.
by miken » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:53 am
We don't currently have FTTH available in Sunnyvale. That neighbor may be confusing FTTN (Fiber to the Node) with 1Gbps FTTH (Fiber to the Home). From your wording, it's hard to tell - but did she mean she had a Gig line pulled to the house (through AT&T), but she currently has Sonic DSL/FTTN?
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by parhelia » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:17 am
We do have full gigabit FTTH available from ATT in our Sunnyvale neighborhood (different parts of Sunnyvale are presumably different). Some places have had older FTTN (to the street-level cabinet) for a while, some areas still have older DSL only (me until this month). As you saw in my other post, ATT pulls fiber right into the house when it is available, even for FTTN customers -- its on the pole next to the house, it was only maybe a 20-25 foot pull to get it into the house.
by miken » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:31 am
You are right! I saw that post and wasn't really thinking about it when I commented here. That makes a lot more sense. :)
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by wdbrubaker » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:36 am
Yeah, based on my conversation with the AT&T salesperson and their online tool, gigabit fiber is available from them.

My understanding is that Sonic can resell any service AT&T offers, so the question is what kind of timeline are we looking at for getting AT&T's FTTH service via Sonic. I would schedule the FTTN upgrade immediately (10-fold increase in speed would be excellent), but I can wait if a gigabit service is coming soon and it would require an additional visit.
by parhelia » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:40 am
Call Sonic sales @ 1-855-757-6111. I dont think they can resell AT&T's Gigabit fiber, but I could be wrong. I believe all of Sonic's gigabit customers are on Sonic's own fiber network.
by pockyken007 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:14 am
wdbrubaker wrote:Yeah, based on my conversation with the AT&T salesperson and their online tool, gigabit fiber is available from them.

My understanding is that Sonic can resell any service AT&T offers, so the question is what kind of timeline are we looking at for getting AT&T's FTTH service via Sonic. I would schedule the FTTN upgrade immediately (10-fold increase in speed would be excellent), but I can wait if a gigabit service is coming soon and it would require an additional visit.

sonic can resell FTTN which is fiber to the node with two tiers of speed 25 MBPS and 55 MBPS ( ATT over-provisions their lines so as long as there is no problems on the line and the distance is ok you should see the speeds I posted above ) . Sonic can't resell as far as I know ATT FTTH ( fiber to the home )
by mike.perlas » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:38 am
We do not resell AT&T Gigapower.
Mikey P.
Technical Support Supervisor
Sonic
by tpeterson » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:01 pm
I just learned today from Sonic CS that ATT is only required to offer copper-based service to 3rd parties, so Sonic can't offer ATT-based FTTH. I hope that the FCC rules change so that such access is possible. I'd be willing even to pay a modest premium to get "Sonic" FTTH that way and I bet that a lot of disaffected ATT and Comcast customers feel the same way.

I suppose, though, that this utopian future awaits a better election outcome than we just witnessed.
14 posts Page 1 of 2