RG Rental Return Issue - Price Hike

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
21 posts Page 1 of 3
by xxmadc0wxx » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:41 am
I'm trying to return the supplied router which I've never used. The problem I'm having is apparently my pricing for Fiber is $50 and not $40 as it said on the website when I ordered.

I called a billing rep and she explained that the price was $50 and that i was receiving a $10 credit to drop it to $40 and that if I return the supplied router, that I would lose that credit and essentially my billing would be exactly the same price no matter what since the RG rental was $9.50 anyway. This was not disclosed to me anywhere or by anyone.

I'm currently paying $62.09.

Fiber service (w/ $10 cr) $40.
RG Rental $9.50.
Tax $12.56

Now I'm aware of the $10 price increase in FEB but I ordered in January before the price increase should have taken effect.

All I wanna do is pay you $52.59 after tax for just Fiber. My speed isn't even 900 down (getting 600) and i'm not complaining. I just wanna return the supplied router and not get dinged $10 on my billing. I even left ya'll a 5 Star review on Yelp which I'm about to change if I'm being screwed.

I signed up and was charged Jan 24th. This is before Feb price increase. Yet, it looks like ya'll ran my account cycle on Feb 4th which was the install date. That seems a little shady. I mean my order was in before Feb price increase. Install date is separate. You can start my billing cycle in Feb but it still doesn't take away that I placed the order in Jan before the increase.

I mean if we're going by install date, does that mean my friends/family who've ordered in Nov/Dec 2016 with install dates in April or May have a $50/monthly instead of the advertised $40? That's just seems shady.

What can be done here?
by three24 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:08 pm
Yeah, this needs to be explained better, the price with and without the router. And how long is the $10 credit if we don't return the router, a year, two? I use my own router because of guest network, USB sharing, and dyn dns updating. I'm not sure the Pace had those, at least I didn't find them looking around briefly.

But about your speed. Make sure it's not your own router not being able to keep up. I guess you could put the Pace router back and test, or the PC straight from the ONT. I tried my old Asus RT-n66u and the speed was terrible. Something like 200Mbps, which was ridiculously low compared to using the Pace router - around 945 Mbps. I googled around and others had similar experience with old routers and gigabit fiber. So I bought a new Asus RT-AC68P and the speed was 945 Mbps again.
by pockyken007 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:19 pm
xxmadc0wxx wrote:I'm trying to return the supplied router which I've never used. The problem I'm having is apparently my pricing for Fiber is $50 and not $40 as it said on the website when I ordered.

I called a billing rep and she explained that the price was $50 and that i was receiving a $10 credit to drop it to $40 and that if I return the supplied router, that I would lose that credit and essentially my billing would be exactly the same price no matter what since the RG rental was $9.50 anyway. This was not disclosed to me anywhere or by anyone.

RG Rental $9.50.
Tax $12.56

Now I'm aware of the $10 price increase in FEB but I ordered in January before the price increase should have taken effect.

All I wanna do is pay you $52.59 after tax for just Fiber. My speed isn't even 900 down (getting 600) and i'm not complaining. I just wanna return the supplied router and not get dinged $10 on my billing. I even left ya'll a 5 Star review on Yelp which I'm about to change if I'm being screwed.

I signed up and was charged Jan 24th. This is before Feb price increase. Yet, it looks like ya'll ran my account cycle on Feb 4th which was the install date. That seems a little shady. I mean my order was in before Feb price increase. Install date is separate. You can start my billing cycle in Feb but it still doesn't take away that I placed the order in Jan before the increase.

I mean if we're going by install date, does that mean my friends/family who've ordered in Nov/Dec 2016 with install dates in April or May have a $50/monthly instead of the advertised $40? That's just seems shady.

What can be done here?

I believe sonic starts charging you from the install date not from the order date ( that would be stupid seeing some people ordered service months ago and due to backlog still don't have it delivered ) ... said that if you ordered before the 10$ price hike and your service was delivered after the price hike you will be billed the after the price hike rate ... at least that is my understanding .
by pockyken007 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:21 pm
As for your speed I would test A) your router might not be capable of pushing the 900+ speeds I would test either the pace router or straight from ONT B) did the on site tech when installing your fiber run a speedtest ? c) is your NIC capable of doing 1 gig ? D) how old is your comp maybe your comp is the bottleneck ?
by xxmadc0wxx » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:38 pm
three24 wrote:Yeah, this needs to be explained better, the price with and without the router. And how long is the $10 credit if we don't return the router, a year, two? I use my own router because of guest network, USB sharing, and dyn dns updating. I'm not sure the Pace had those, at least I didn't find them looking around briefly.

But about your speed. Make sure it's not your own router not being able to keep up. I guess you could put the Pace router back and test, or the PC straight from the ONT. I tried my old Asus RT-n66u and the speed was terrible. Something like 200Mbps, which was ridiculously low compared to using the Pace router - around 945 Mbps. I googled around and others had similar experience with old routers and gigabit fiber. So I bought a new Asus RT-AC68P and the speed was 945 Mbps again.

I rechecked every email sent to me from sonic and nothing states anything about a $10/credit from a $50/monthly bill nor does anything say if i return the router I'd lose any type of credit. The price WITH the router currently is $62.06. The price WITHOUT the router is $62.56. LOL if i give them back the router it cost me MORE. How does this make any sense? Man I really thought I left comcast for an honest company but i'm starting to see some true colors here.

For my speed. I've tested every config possible. Pace router direct from modem to my PC. No dongle/adapter of any sort. Tried this setup in Safe mode with networking. Same results. Tried on macbook pro same or worse. Consistent 600's. In a previous post, they claimed the installer used his Laptop to test the speed and stated I got 910. This is false and a flat out lie. The installer never even took his laptop out of the van. Didn't even know he had one. We used my own computer to test. I'm not even upset really about the speed. It's still good and I'm happy to pay for it if it were the honest price of $52.59 after tax.

I honestly feel like I got played somehow. Not upset at the speed even if it isn't the full speed. Upset much more on no disclosure and how this is playing out.
by xxmadc0wxx » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:44 pm
pockyken007 wrote:
xxmadc0wxx wrote:I'm trying to return the supplied router which I've never used. The problem I'm having is apparently my pricing for Fiber is $50 and not $40 as it said on the website when I ordered.

RG Rental $9.50.
Tax $12.56

What can be done here?

I believe sonic starts charging you from the install date not from the order date ( that would be stupid seeing some people ordered service months ago and due to backlog still don't have it delivered ) ... said that if you ordered before the 10$ price hike and your service was delivered after the price hike you will be billed the after the price hike rate ... at least that is my understanding .

That's what seems to be happening. They charged me on 1/24 (date order placed). The service didn't get activated until 2/04 (home install). That still doesn't take away that I ordered it before they came to install. Order placed before price hike. That's like a sale in an online store stating order now to and save $10 but since it delivered to you after the sale ended, you won't save the $10. Again, no such disclosure in any email or from the installer or anyone. I have a coworker who ordered back in Dec and doesn't have an install until April. Is he gonna be charged $40/month or $50?
by xxmadc0wxx » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:02 pm
pockyken007 wrote:As for your speed I would test A) your router might not be capable of pushing the 900+ speeds I would test either the pace router or straight from ONT B) did the on site tech when installing your fiber run a speedtest ? c) is your NIC capable of doing 1 gig ? D) how old is your comp maybe your comp is the bottleneck ?

A) Router is gigabit capable but even so I've tested on their Pace router with the installer next to me from ONT direct to PC. He just told me it would get faster overtime (which it hasn't). I've tried it in safe mode w/ networking from ONT on pace router direct to PC. Same results.

B) Installer ran speed test on my PC (not his laptop) on both ookla's speedtest as well as sonic.net/speedtest. Both 600's.

C) NIC gigabit capable

D) tested on 3 computers in total. all varying from 4yrs old to 10yrs old. All gigabit capable.

Side note - I have to use my router which is a Google Wifi System router (Mesh wifi network) blankets my house with wifi. Which is why the supplied Pace router is absolutely useless for me to pay for.
by miken » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:09 pm
The price change took place in February for current customers as we wanted to provide a warning ahead of time to let them know what was coming down the pipes. Pricing changed on the website and for new customers back in the beginning of January. By the time you signed up on January 24th, the price listed for service was already $50 with a $10 discount for 12 months.

That being said, if someone signed up for a service (like pre-ordering Fiber) while the price was still just $40, we will honor this if the equipment is opted out of.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by pockyken007 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:32 pm
xxmadc0wxx wrote:
pockyken007 wrote:As for your speed I would test A) your router might not be capable of pushing the 900+ speeds I would test either the pace router or straight from ONT B) did the on site tech when installing your fiber run a speedtest ? c) is your NIC capable of doing 1 gig ? D) how old is your comp maybe your comp is the bottleneck ?

A) Router is gigabit capable but even so I've tested on their Pace router with the installer next to me from ONT direct to PC. He just told me it would get faster overtime (which it hasn't). I've tried it in safe mode w/ networking from ONT on pace router direct to PC. Same results.

B) Installer ran speed test on my PC (not his laptop) on both ookla's speedtest as well as sonic.net/speedtest. Both 600's.

C) NIC gigabit capable

D) tested on 3 computers in total. all varying from 4yrs old to 10yrs old. All gigabit capable.

Side note - I have to use my router which is a Google Wifi System router (Mesh wifi network) blankets my house with wifi. Which is why the supplied Pace router is absolutely useless for me to pay for.

Might be a very stupid question but did you set your NIC to 1 gigabit full duplex ? I had a problem with my NIC being on auto and having garbage speeds as soon as I set it on 1 gig full duplex the speeds improved drastically .
by xxmadc0wxx » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:50 pm
miken wrote:The price change took place in February for current customers as we wanted to provide a warning ahead of time to let them know what was coming down the pipes. Pricing changed on the website and for new customers back in the beginning of January. By the time you signed up on January 24th, the price listed for service was already $50 with a $10 discount for 12 months.

That being said, if someone signed up for a service (like pre-ordering Fiber) while the price was still just $40, we will honor this if the equipment is opted out of.
Hey Mike,

I don't recall any new price hike to $50 as all it stated on the web order was a big $40/month and that it was available. Didn't see anything about returning the supplied router and a loss of any promotional credit. In fact I didn't even know it was $50/month since all I saw was a big ass $40/month posted all over your vans and website. I made sure to read up on the forums that it was possible to even opt out of the router rental and there's plenty of answers stating yes to negate the $9.50 charge. My own cousin who just had his installed 2 weeks prior to mine pays in the $50's after returning his router.

Man I'm not even a full 30 days into switching to sonic and I'm having speed issues and now finding out i'm gonna be paying $62 instead of $52. I don't even have the phone installed and I'm paying tax on that. smh....

So the only upside to me paying more and keeping the router you supply is that I get free in-home support if anything happens? so technically you're forcing me to pay $114/year for support service lol. Aite Sonic, I see how ya'll work.
21 posts Page 1 of 3