Sonic True Speeds are not gigabit?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
19 posts Page 1 of 2
by Edo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:34 pm
I just got sonic installed and the technician did a speed test on speedtest.net which showed about 950 down. From what i read online, that is not a accurate method and the following sites do a better representation of real world speeds:

http://speedof.me/
testmy.net
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

From the above sites I am hitting around the 250-300 down speeds. Can anyone from Sonic explain what benchmarks they use for the fiber optic speed tests?
by user33434 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:12 am
Speedtest.net is by far, the best test to take for a Gigabit connection. The other tests aren't designed to test Gigabit which is why you're seeing slower speeds.
by dane » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:06 am
Many speed test sites are not themselves fast enough to achieve gigabit speed. Some are only connected at gigabit but are in use by many folks at once, or there may be bottleneck points between you and them.

This is the other side of the speed testing equation, where most issues we see are with the local area network (LAN) in the home, or with client devices. Slow Ethernet, dongles or adaptors, antivirus software, and of course WiFi are all issues.

The issue of slow or busy speed test servers is also a good illustration of another issue: many sites on the internet are themselves hosted on gigabit (or even slower) connections, and will not deliver at gigabit speed.

But for as long as internet access has been provided to consumers, the "last mile" connection to the home was always the bottleneck. From dialup to cable, the LAN, WiFi and PCs, and sites online were capable of faster speeds.

By delivering a gigabit fiber connection, Sonic has finally eliminated the last mile bottleneck for the first time.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Edo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:29 am
dane wrote:Many speed test sites are not themselves fast enough to achieve gigabit speed. Some are only connected at gigabit but are in use by many folks at once, or there may be bottleneck points between you and them.

This is the other side of the speed testing equation, where most issues we see are with the local area network (LAN) in the home, or with client devices. Slow Ethernet, dongles or adaptors, antivirus software, and of course WiFi are all issues.

The issue of slow or busy speed test servers is also a good illustration of another issue: many sites on the internet are themselves hosted on gigabit (or even slower) connections, and will not deliver at gigabit speed.

But for as long as internet access has been provided to consumers, the "last mile" connection to the home was always the bottleneck. From dialup to cable, the LAN, WiFi and PCs, and sites online were capable of faster speeds.

By delivering a gigabit fiber connection, Sonic has finally eliminated the last mile bottleneck for the first time.
Even with Fast.com which is run by Netflix, I am seeing a true speed of 660mbps. It would be useful to see how Sonic's speed stack in real world tests rather just relying entirely off SpeedTest for benchmarks.
by dane » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:22 am
Sorry, we can't really fix the speed test services offered by others. Testing and demonstrating full gigabit throughput is challenging.

But unlike DSL or Cable, gigabit fiber only goes one speed: gigabit. So testing is really only useful for finding and resolving issues in the LAN, the clients, or testing your WiFi speed.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by rtrinh » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:24 pm
Edo wrote: Even with Fast.com which is run by Netflix, I am seeing a true speed of 660mbps. It would be useful to see how Sonic's speed stack in real world tests rather just relying entirely off SpeedTest for benchmarks.
This is pretty real world.
realworld.png
realworld.png (118.96 KiB) Viewed 106444 times
by dane » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:32 pm
That's awesome.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by user8345345534 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:30 pm
Edo wrote:
dane wrote:Many speed test sites are not themselves fast enough to achieve gigabit speed. Some are only connected at gigabit but are in use by many folks at once, or there may be bottleneck points between you and them.

Even with Fast.com which is run by Netflix, I am seeing a true speed of 660mbps. It would be useful to see how Sonic's speed stack in real world tests rather just relying entirely off SpeedTest for benchmarks.
No, that's not a good way to measure speed.

That's like saying let's see how fast a car is in a 25 mph zone. They will all travel at or around 25 mph even if you put a Ferrari there.

Some websites or services just aren't fast enough to utilize all of the Sonic Fiber's speed, such as those speed tests websites you used. Sonic Fiber is that Ferrari in a 25 mph zone. I found that speedtest.net has the highest capacity to test gigabit connections.
by bubba198 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:15 pm
@rtrinh that's the real test; 25G file download, yah! Good work on posting something substantive, finally!

Those flash apps (such as speedtest.net) that do a "speed test" are laughably incidental

Download a 25G file; look at the average over the time period; that should settle it

~B
by miken » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:37 pm
Is my math right in that download taking about 4 minutes or so? Oh man... :D
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
19 posts Page 1 of 2