Fusion disconnecting regularly last couple of days

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
24 posts Page 1 of 3
by fvmany » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:35 pm
Hello,
I'm in Berkeley. My Fusion service has been somewhat unreliable every since around Christmas (I actually distinctly remember it completely dying within a day or two of me getting the bill that included price increase announcement). However, the problems seemed fixed after AT&T came out some time ago and replaced some external wire.

Then, since yesterday, the internet service has been crapping out regularly (phone seems to work fine). I'm in Berkeley and see that you are doing some service tonight. I have no idea if that's related. Regardless, I'm getting very frustrated, as I had good service for years, but have not lately. Since I work from home, reliability matters.

There's no way to check the connection "at the box" -- on this old home, there appears to be no box. There's just a hole in the wall where the wires go into the crawl space and there's no box inside the crawl space.

Sigh. I guess my question is, are these problems going to go away? Or should I find another service?
by virtualmike » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:56 pm
Contact support to troubleshoot your line(s).
by mike.perlas » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:42 am
Good morning! I was checking out your file and see we have never had our field tech out there. In my opinion, that is probably the right direction to go towards. Give us a call and we'll be able to schedule that out.
Mikey P.
Technical Support Supervisor
Sonic
by fvmany » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:41 am
Thank you both. I have called and scheduled somebody to come on Thursday. Very frustrated with unreliable service.
by fvmany » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:06 pm
I'm a bit frustrated here. I cancelled the visit because I don't rent your equipment and don't want to pay you guys $75 per half hour to work on what is clearly a problem between the post and my house. There's no Network interface device on my house and there's just a mess of wires to which I'm connected. Phone company is supposed to bear the responsibility of having a network interface device that I can cleanly connect my internal wiring to.

I've spoken with your very nice and polite support people several times. They are understanding, but I just can't decide what to do. The reality is that I don't feel like pouring money into your maintenance guy to come right when you guys decide to jack up the price on something that's become much less reliable. I'm seriously considering just getting a different service.

The thing holding me back from moving on is that I really like your company in many ways and (like many here), I've persuaded friends and family to get Sonic service. I dunno what to say -- we'll see how I feel the next time my service gets flaky. I've started saving the brochures that the big telecom companies stuff in my door.
by moogra » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:19 am
Since you're in Berkeley, I recommend checking out LMI, which is a local company, before you go toward comcast.
by ankh » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:53 pm
Also, ask ATnT to come check the line up to your house -- and tell them you need a regular test box installed on the wall where the phone line comes into your house. They'll do that, I think. They did it for me, some years ago.

And then it took them years -- til this week -- to find an intermittent short circuit somewhere between our house and the nearby Central Office building that was causing lots of disconnects on one of the two Fusion lines. Persist.
by fvmany » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:53 pm
Thanks for the advice. I suspect that I can't call and have AT&T come and install the box -- I believe Sonic would have to call AT&T to make that request.
by ankh » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:59 pm
Ask the Support folks about this, they're good at this troubleshooting.

I had to have a couple of "Co-Op visits" -- that means they schedule ATnT and Sonic trucks to arrive at the same time.

(ATnT guys showed up early. They had to spend a good bit of time on the phone with Sonic support to find the problem, which turned out to be an intermittent short circuit somewhere along the copper between my telephone pole at the street, and the Central Office 3500 feet away on Solano.)

NOTE: if the ATnT guy isn't getting on the cell phone to Sonic, you can call Sonic Support directly and then hand your phone to the ATnT guy. That's what I needed to do on one visit. Lots of education went on that day, I think.

Have you looked at the Fusion Profile graph to see if the sync rate is falling apart? see my topic link below.

It took months to finally find the problem with our service, many phone conversations and several visits from techs.

Worth doing:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4279
by maelig » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:15 pm
I don't want to create a new topic for that but the technician that came to install Fusion at the non-profit I am volunteering for botched the installation a few months ago.

I discovered that he had not replaced the existing AT&T lines but instead created two additional lines that are good for Internet service, but useless for phone since the wires don't go where we have our existing phone outlets. I have been trying to get Sonic to reconnect the wires appropriately but of course they won't admit that the technician tried to save time (despite it being a paying $150 installation) and lied about what he had done in his notes (he even said that I was there when he came, but I was at work). He even left the staff POTS splitters without any explanation of how and where to connect them. Why didn't he install them? Anyway, it's another problem and that clearly makes me reconsider my relationship with Sonic as a client myself. I have certainly advised the non-profit to look for another Internet and phone provider.

Anyway... it looks like I'll end up doing it myself because the organization can't afford to keep paying the 2 bills (AT&T phone service and Sonic) any longer, or to pay another technician visit, but the problem is that, like someone else in this thread, there is no up-to-date network interface device box and it's just a bunch of wires with no indication of what they are. Basically I have no idea what to do because even the tutorial that Sonic provides to DIYers can't be done here since there's not a single test jack.

My question is who is responsible for providing an up-to-date phone network interface box? I thought it was the phone company (so here, Sonic via AT&T). If that's the case, why wasn't it installed when they came? Who should I contact to have this installed so that the wires can be connected where they should be?

Thanks in advance for your help!
24 posts Page 1 of 3