Sonic Service Area Map?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
15 posts Page 1 of 2
by Laurie » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:43 am
What areas in California are served by Sonic DSL -- is that anywhere ATT has DSL service?

And what areas are served by Fusion?
by dane » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:16 pm
Our AT&T line shared DSL service is available everywhere in CA that AT&T DSL is offered, with two exceptions: Bakersfield and Paso Robles.

Fusion is available in most of the greater Bay Area, with service newly available in Sacramento. Check availability for specific locations using our website.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by netllama » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:49 pm
dane wrote:Fusion is available in most of the greater Bay Area, with service newly available in Sacramento. Check availability for specific locations using our website.
Sadly, the part of the Bay Area where I live does not have Fusion available:
"We are currently unable to provide you with Fusion because you are 6100 feet behind a remote terminal, which blocks the Fusion signal."

This makes it sound like its AT&T's fault. Is that accurate? Is there anything that I can do, short of moving to get Fusion sooner?
by dane » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:27 pm
netllama wrote:
dane wrote:Fusion is available in most of the greater Bay Area, with service newly available in Sacramento. Check availability for specific locations using our website.
Sadly, the part of the Bay Area where I live does not have Fusion available:
"We are currently unable to provide you with Fusion because you are 6100 feet behind a remote terminal, which blocks the Fusion signal."

This makes it sound like its AT&T's fault. Is that accurate? Is there anything that I can do, short of moving to get Fusion sooner?
We do not deploy at RT locations, for more details see: http://corp.sonic.net/ceo/2011/09/02/am ... d-duopoly/

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by danaustin » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:57 pm
Funny that you mention moving. My wife and I are trying to buy
a home in the south bay, and I have been checking for Fusion
availability on every house that we decide to see. I have likely
checked between 75 and 150 addresses.

I recently tried using the BBR central office locator to map the
areas most likely to be serviced so we could focus our search.
Sadly the already weak housing market is even worse in areas
likely to have a chance of Fusion service.

Now to hope that no one tells my wife I have been vetoing
properties based on decent internet access...
by toast0 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:41 pm
danaustin wrote:Now to hope that no one tells my wife I have been vetoing
properties based on decent internet access...
I wish I had thought of that (although when I was house hunting, Fusion was still in limited testing); now I hope to be in this house for a long time, longer than I expect to be happy with ADSL1
by dkates » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:09 pm
Dane,

Although I am in Santa Rosa, I understand that I too am not part of the "greater bay area" where Fusion is available. Will I ever get it, or do I have to move my business too? I am sick of paying ATT (and I know you get that!).

Thanks

David
by dane » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:31 pm
Currently we only reach about 60% of premises in the Bay Area. These are homes and businesses that are directly connected to the telephone central office exchanges that we have equipment in. For customers not directly served by these offices, who are instead served by remote terminal equipment, we do not currently have a way to serve these locations.

For more on the reasons for this, see:
http://corp.sonic.net/ceo/2011/09/02/am ... d-duopoly/

This situation is a major driver for our Fiber-to-the-home efforts. By building new infrastructure, we can opt to build wherever we like. Of course, this is a long-term project and goal, not a near-term solution for those beyond our reach today.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by jttttttttt » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:36 pm
Then how come after having At&T for years I'm still listed as not having Sonic available? You really should have a coverage map
by pockyken007 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:02 am
are you behind remote terminal ?
15 posts Page 1 of 2