Sonic and Net Neutrality under Trump

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by ceinfeldt » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:31 am
Trump's new FCC chairman http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/23/14338 ... ppointment, Ajit Pai, is opposed to Net Neutrality. In response to this appointment, I have some questions:

Since I have Sonic, which is opposed to Net Neutrality, does this mean that I am insulated from the worst of Pai's attacks on Net Neutrality?

If not, how will I be affected?

I am active with political groups that value Net Neutrality. I would like to give out Sonic fliers at meetings of these groups. How can I get some fliers?

Anyone with answers can email me at einfeldt at g mail . Thanks.
by steelgaze » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:48 pm
I think you have a bit of pro/con confusion.

Sonic is for Net Neutrality.

Sonic's network is not big enough to be affected. It is really when a company has a huge penetration and they look at throttling traffic they don't agree with, which can steer there customer's view points on what they can see on the internet. Removing NN rules shifts powers to ISPs, and I don't see Sonic abusing those.
by kgc » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:51 pm
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by ceinfeldt » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:57 am
@Steelgaze, yes, I got it backwards. I meant to say that Sonic is pro-Net Neutrality. Sorry.
by ceinfeldt » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:02 am
@kgc, thanks for that link. That article basically says that Sonic's interests are probably more aligned with consumers than big ISPs. Which gets back to my basic point: how can we help Sonic help us protect Net Neutrality.
by kgc » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:35 am
ceinfeldt wrote:@kgc, thanks for that link. That article basically says that Sonic's interests are probably more aligned with consumers than big ISPs. Which gets back to my basic point: how can we help Sonic help us protect Net Neutrality.
I'm afraid I don't have any good advice beyond making your voice heard by contacting your representatives and senators. The EFF and ACLU are both champions for Net Neutrality and may have additional suggestions on how to get involved.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by bubba198 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:56 am
I never believed that net neutrality is actually enforced. Proving a violation is nearly impossible and even when you have the smoking gun it can easily be whiled out by so often used "technical problems" package of BS.

I'm skeptical whether any detectable changes will occur but on principle I'm against anything and everything Trump attempts to implement as a policy during his office.
by msdoran » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:24 pm
I literally asked my install guy this question today after he installed Sonic at my house (I am so stoked).

I agree with above about not much more we can do other than stay on top of the issue, and be prepared to speak out if they try and ramrod another SOPA like bill through Congress.

In the meantime, I highly encourage EVERYONE to watch the movie "Killswitch" on Netflix through our steaming fast internet connection. It goes into detail about the internet's development and why Congress, at times, tries to attack net neutrality.

Thank you Sonic for building out Brentwood. Thank you for finally letting me feel like a kid at Christmas again.

I have Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1