Sonic Fusion @ 7000 feet away with Actiontec modem...

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
29 posts Page 3 of 3
by virtualmike » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:09 pm
mbreese wrote:For what it's worth... My experience is that emails to support aren't answered. And if they are answered, it isn't in a timely manner (I'd consider 6-12 hours timely for a support request).
For what it's worht, my experience has been otherwise. While I don't expect an immediate response (I'm sure the Support Techs deal with phone calls first), any time I've written to support@sonic.net, the message has always been addressed.

I certainly can see that an individual message might get lost, but my experience doesn't suggest there's a policy of ignoring email requests for support.
by c.aynesworth » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:42 pm
So a really helpful guy from ATT was here this morning from about 8am - noon, talking with sonic and the central office. He ended up finding a fault/cut out on the street on my line and had that fixed. In the end, that brought my speed up another 1Mbps or so.

Anyway at the end of all of this, I gotta say I'm really happy because sonic (and you Dane!) totally blew me away with their customer service. What I'm getting now is a way better experience with just one provider. I wish I'd gone with sonic sooner! Thanks so much again :D
by bill » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:56 am
Dane, I wonder if you could do a speed/distance chart for San Francisco city only, where I imagine there are some scary 19th century wire installations under the sidewalks -- versus newer lines in open country outside the city.

In fact, one for each CO in SF would be brilliant. And maybe show that to people when they test their address on the Sonic site, so we don't read as many "how come I'm not getting 20 Mbps" posts.... :)
by dane » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:28 pm
The data on performance and distance ranges pretty widely, but per CO data isn't really meaningful. The loop makeup data is based upon wire gauge and type over all the segments, so the "distance" you see in a prequal is actually the 26 gauge normalized equivalent. Some segments may be thicker wire, and count as less distance as a result.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by jacknkay » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:43 pm
I think I'm out at 10K feet, (not exactly sure) but certainly not in the sticks. I only get 1.7Mbps DL on a good day. I would be ecstatic with 4Mbps! I'm about 2 miles from downtown SR.
by dane » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:47 pm
jacknkay wrote:I think I'm out at 10K feet, (not exactly sure) but certainly not in the sticks. I only get 1.7Mbps DL on a good day. I would be ecstatic with 4Mbps! I'm about 2 miles from downtown SR.
You can check your wire distance by asking support@sonic.net, they can get the number out of the ASSIA interface for you.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by tjj » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:34 am
jacknkay,

I looked it up for you and sent you an e-mail with the distance results as well as some other information about your line that we could possibly help you with.
Tage J.
Sonic.net Customer Support
by agav » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:11 am
On a side note: Do you guys have any plans to bring further DSL access node into the city of SF? We are in downtown with 7000 feet away from the main office - would be a nice improvement for us to be closer.
by itwong » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:21 pm
Chris wrote:So far no issues with dropping sync. Anyone with 7000 feet from the central office want to chime in and say their average speeds? I'd be really curious!
My speed at 7700 feet from CO on Actiontec GT701D is about 6.9Mbps/1.0Mbps synced and the actual speed is around 6.4Mbps downstream(820K/s).
29 posts Page 3 of 3