Fiber in Alameda CA

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
14 posts Page 2 of 2
by bubba198 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:11 am
@oddhack maybe referring to Common Networks - https://common.net/ as an alternative in Alameda, its wireless tech @ 75Mbps up and down for $50/month. Alameda is their first market and service has been launched few months ago.They use ubnt gear to create a mesh. This kind of thing has been tried before in Alameda almost a decade ago (remember community free net alameda) and failed. This startup appears well funded and ubnt is superior gear to the home built transceivers I remember from 10 years ago.

I would rather wait for fiber even though common's deal isn't bad at all.
by oddhack » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:31 am
bubba198 wrote:
Omar wrote:AT&T Gigapower should be available for use in 3 months in All or part of Alameda.
Can you "see" your address as potentially lit up? What tool do you use about Gigapower? I can't find one real tool; all "tools" on AT&T are total marketing BS static pages they call "availability tool" LOL
Their availability tool has pretty much the same information as Sonic's. Put in an address, get out qualifying services. They're showing fiber as available at my location now, for example. It's an interesting calculation: 25x the speed at lower cost (and no modem rental fee), but... AT&T.
by Sonic » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:54 am
I am tempted to switch to AT&T for their $40 50Mbps plan. Been getting around 13 down and 1.3 up on Sonic similar to ADSL2+.
by atavistock » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:50 pm
I live in Alameda and 6 months back I had an AT&T rep come to my door and proudly proclaim that I'm now "Fiber Ready". I hate AT&T, but I said "Really?!? Thats amazing! Whats the bandwidth and how much will it cost?". The guy at the door had no idea and said I'd need to call their customer service. Okay...

So I called... It was sales so it didn't have the "I need need help" or "I want to cancel" one hour minimum hold time, and found out that "Fiber Ready" is really Fiber to the Node. They have a slightly faster offering - 50Mbps or maybe 75Mbps if you''re lucky -and they can provide stronger ADSL signal to places further from the central office. So while technically accurate to call it "Fiber", its pretty much a BS offering compared to Fiber to the Curb or Fiber to the Home.

I'm still envious of my friends in SF with Sonic Gigbit
14 posts Page 2 of 2