What steps can I take to help bring Fiber to my block in Richmond?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
16 posts Page 1 of 2
by pencoyd » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:28 am
Current Sonic customer, with Fusion X1 service.

Like so many, eager to move to Gigabit Fiber, but not available yet.

I live on the 500 block of Funston, and we have an alley between Anza and Balboa, and the telephone poles (including our Fusion service) go via the telephone poles and then aerial wire to our house. I expect that is one reason (the reason?) our block doesn't have Fiber available, even as I watched Sonic trucks working nearby.

What can help make this happen? Are there city agencies I need to lobby? Neighbors I need to secure permission from? How many neighbors do I need to convince to become Sonic customers to make this achievable? (I have no idea how many use Sonic versus just defaulting to AT&T/XFinity.)

Happy with Sonic in many ways and willing to be reasonably patient AND willing to do some extra work to make this possible.

Tips?

John Roberts

ps - Interesting to call Sonic to discuss this topic and be told to post in the forums.
by dane » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:42 pm
Are your poles in the alley interconnected with the aerial plant on the adjacent avenues, or are they isolated by an underground segment? Checking street view, it appears that it may be tied in at Balboa, but you can give it a look yourself.

Because Sonic hasn't built most of the East/West streets, including Balboa, we can't reach that alley (assuming it is served from Balboa.) The East/West streets are much lower homes per linear foot, so they're a much more risky bet for us to build than the more dense North/South avenues. But, if we prove out enough uptake in the Richmond district that these lower-density portions would make economic sense, we will proceed.

So, your best bet is simply to advocate for Sonic fiber with folks in the region, and encourage those who can obtain service to sign up. Together we can bring competitive gigabit fiber, but local support and subscriber uptake is the most critical component.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by steelgaze » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:59 pm
It looks like there's maybe 40 homes on this specific block.
What you might be able to do, which I'm not sure if Sonic will take it is, throw money at the 'problem'.

I think an average of 15k per home would make a good pot to get the backyard poles wired up.
by danielg4 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:36 pm
To those who may be reading who are unfamiliar: Funston is a North/South avenue, like all the addresses where Sonic Gigabit Fiber is deployed in the Richmond and Sunset/Parkside currently.
by dane » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:02 pm
Yes, but Funston doesn't have utility poles on the front - at least on the 500 block, the homes are served from an alley at the back, which has utilities which tee off Balboa. So it's different in a couple ways.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by pencoyd » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:47 pm
Dane wrote:
"Are your poles in the alley interconnected with the aerial plant on the adjacent avenues, or are they isolated by an underground segment? Checking street view, it appears that it may be tied in at Balboa, but you can give it a look yourself."

I reviewed today.

Yes, the poles in the alley are interconnected with the aerial plant, coming in from Balboa. I don't know if that is better or worse for this purpose.
by dane » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:36 am
pencoyd wrote:Dane wrote:
"Are your poles in the alley interconnected with the aerial plant on the adjacent avenues, or are they isolated by an underground segment? Checking street view, it appears that it may be tied in at Balboa, but you can give it a look yourself."

I reviewed today.

Yes, the poles in the alley are interconnected with the aerial plant, coming in from Balboa. I don't know if that is better or worse for this purpose.
Yep, that's good! When we reach the tipping point to build the East/West streets, it's likely we would build Balboa and could interconnect your alley.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by jlsphar » Thu May 04, 2017 12:04 pm
Dear Sonic,

I'd just like to voice my support for the 500 block on Funston Ave.

We'd definitely signup. I think nearly everyone would, including the other row of houses lining and being served from the alley in the back.

Regards,
John
by dane » Thu May 04, 2017 12:09 pm
As we head toward build of E/W streets in the region, which would let us get to that alley, I will certainly keep an eye on the engineering to see if it can get included!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by pencoyd » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:32 pm
@Dane (and others at Sonic) -- it's been 15 months since I last checked in on this. Any news on N/S blocks in the Richmond, like the 500 block of Funston Avenue?

I've gone to the trouble of polling my neighbors on the block, and more than half of the block is excited about Fiber as an option.

12th Avenue between Anza and Balboa is served (for wiring purposes only) by the same alley, so I could canvas them, too.

John
16 posts Page 1 of 2