Question about upgrading from Sonic X1 to Sonic X2

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by jware » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:00 pm
I've been using Sonic X1 (20 Mbps DSL with 1 static IP and phone line) for many years now. I recently upgraded the modem to the newer Pace 4111N since the old ZTE was having some issues. Does this allow me to upgrade my service to X2, 40 Mbps? If so do I get to keep my static IP address?
by jware » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:06 pm
I should have read the description, it would need a 2nd line installed, I only have 1 at the moment.
by amayfield » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:42 pm
Hello,

Fusion X2 is available at your location (it would require a second line be provisioned to your phone box). The X2 service is a bonded DSL product and requires a bonded modem. The Pace 4111n is a single line modem so it wouldn't be compatible with Fusion X2, we would provide you with a new modem (a Pace 5268AC). Regarding your Static IP - you would have the option of keeping a Static IP on Fusion X2 at no additional cost, however you would be allocated a new Static IP.
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by mikeapbiz » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:33 pm
Andrew.
I too am thinking about going from dsl x1 to x2. When I called in to support today they said (after checking with a supervisor) I would not lose my static IP I now have with you (unless they ran out of ports on the card which they said was unlikely) but your reply here seems to make it seem like I will lose my static IP no matter what. Can you clarify, as I have my static IP set in a lot of devices (cameras, etc) and don't want to change them.
by miken » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:56 am
mikeapbiz wrote:Andrew.
I too am thinking about going from dsl x1 to x2. When I called in to support today they said (after checking with a supervisor) I would not lose my static IP I now have with you (unless they ran out of ports on the card which they said was unlikely) but your reply here seems to make it seem like I will lose my static IP no matter what. Can you clarify, as I have my static IP set in a lot of devices (cameras, etc) and don't want to change them.

It does depend on whether the needed ports on the card are available. I would recommend going into the upgrade assuming you would need to configure for a new Static IP.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by mikeapbiz » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:36 pm
Factually correct answer Mike, so thanks very much. However as a consumer not what I was hoping to hear. Ideally I was hoping to hear what you said, since it's factual, and then have you say something like "why don't you send me your username and I'll do some research and find out specifically if you will or won't be affected". Because with the uncertainty I'm not upgrading aka paying Sonic more. However if someone takes the uncertainty out of it and tells me I can keep me IP then you can have more of my money. And if you confirm 100% I can't, then there isn't this cloud of uncertainty. Thoughts?
by miken » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:25 am
mikeapbiz wrote:Factually correct answer Mike, so thanks very much. However as a consumer not what I was hoping to hear. Ideally I was hoping to hear what you said, since it's factual, and then have you say something like "why don't you send me your username and I'll do some research and find out specifically if you will or won't be affected". Because with the uncertainty I'm not upgrading aka paying Sonic more. However if someone takes the uncertainty out of it and tells me I can keep me IP then you can have more of my money. And if you confirm 100% I can't, then there isn't this cloud of uncertainty. Thoughts?
Due to the provisioning lead time between when we place an order and when the connection is delivered, there is no way to know what ports will be available. A new order generally takes 3-5 business days in which other ports are being connected for new services, disconnected for discontinued services and even potentially marked as faulty pending investigation if we deem a port as having failed during troubleshooting. There are too many swinging variables that the best answer I can provide is that you shouldn't place an upgrade unless you are willing to work with a new block of IP addresses.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by mikeapbiz » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:31 pm
Ok then. Thanks for insight into the moving parts. Pass. I'll hold onto the $20/month.
8 posts Page 1 of 1