Fusion price increase and fiber expansion

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
597 posts Page 58 of 60
by andsonic » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:51 am
DJR510 wrote:
pockyken007 wrote: are you really going to complain about 62$ ( after fees and taxes )for a symmetrical fiber connection ? jeez I guess some people are never happy ... also sonic is upfront with their fees / taxes etc so there is that too ...
Hell no, I won't complain about that, let me run to get my checkbook and send $62 to Sonic!!

Oh, that price doesn't get me fiber, because I don't live in SF? Gets me 20 mbps VDSL on AT&T infrastructure?

Yeaaaahhhh ... never mind.
The price increase, which was the first in many many years, is to finance fiber expansion throughout the Sonic service area. It's not just SF. That said, the economics work best for urban neighborhoods with overhead wiring.
I've had the Comcast like experience. They also do not include taxes in price information, and my rates for hiked 3 times in 2.5 years. Only one of those was announced ahead of time.

When I see people complaining about Sonic pricing, i wonder of they ever dealt with AT&T or any of the big cable or satellite companies. Who all, by the way, have gotten in trouble with the FTC for pricing issues.

In my area, the choice is either Comcast, or someone renting AT&T's network. I know, for dang sure, who I trust to provide good service.
by pockyken007 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:35 am
DJR510 wrote:
pockyken007 wrote: are you really going to complain about 62$ ( after fees and taxes )for a symmetrical fiber connection ? jeez I guess some people are never happy ... also sonic is upfront with their fees / taxes etc so there is that too ...
Hell no, I won't complain about that, let me run to get my checkbook and send $62 to Sonic!!

Oh, that price doesn't get me fiber, because I don't live in SF? Gets me 20 mbps VDSL on AT&T infrastructure?

Yeaaaahhhh ... never mind.

Maybe it's time to move then ? you do realize that sonic is building out fiber in more cities than just SF .
by deckelhead » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:59 am
Maybe it's time to move then ? you do realize that sonic is building out fiber in more cities than just SF .
Yes, I suspect that he realizes that. However, he, like myself, is probably in 90% of the area that Sonic doesn't cover by fiber (per the CEO's post). It takes years to build out fiber and, frankly, I don't want to wait that long before it becomes available to me. I can literally cut my bill in half and get twice the speed with Comcast. Yes, that is a 1 year teaser rate but even the full service price is significantly lower and with better speed.

I understand that Sonic is in a hard spot but, news flash... We all are. If I am going to donate money to something, I would rather take that $300-ish and give it to some Hurricane relief fund. This isn't a statement against Sonic, by any means. But in the end of the day, they are not the United Way, they are a for profit company and, I suspect, the C-level has salaries that would make most of us choke. So the decision to stick with, or bail from, Sonic should be made with the same emotional detachment that I'm sure occurred within the Board Roam of Sonic when it made the decision to increase prices. If it makes financial sense for you to stay then do so... If not, then find another provider. For me, the answer is the latter. I've already purchased my Comcast modem (one of the things that, by the way, I HATED about Sonic was the requirement that you had to rent their equipment).
by hankering » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:33 pm
Speaking of fiber --- will the fiber network be able to route around damage?

I note the North Coast had a single line now cut by fire:

"... Basically all of coastal Northern California north of Santa Rosa operate on one fibre optic cable that runs roughly parallel to Hwy. 101. It appears that the fire has severed that cable, knocking out communications for a huge region of the county...."

https://www.mendovoice.com/2017/10/redw ... ex-oct-10/
by mquiazon » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:37 pm
pockyken007 wrote:Maybe it's time to move then ? you do realize that sonic is building out fiber in more cities than just SF .
I hope that's just you being facetious. Surely you know that where people choose to live is based on more factors than whether they can get Sonic fiber service. Moreover, in the SF Bay Area, basic affordability is a bigger factor than available internet service.
by pockyken007 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:24 am
mquiazon wrote:
pockyken007 wrote:Maybe it's time to move then ? you do realize that sonic is building out fiber in more cities than just SF .
I hope that's just you being facetious. Surely you know that where people choose to live is based on more factors than whether they can get Sonic fiber service. Moreover, in the SF Bay Area, basic affordability is a bigger factor than available internet service.
Mission now has SONIC fiber internet , historically it's a neighborhood with cheaper rent prices ... I am aware of the fact that it takes more than what internet is available at the location to choose a place to live BUT since the OP mentioned that he needs / wants faster internet for work purposes maybe he should consider that next time ? just my 10 cents
by victoriawake » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:38 pm
I am disappointed that this increase has happened--just had it show up on my bill. I switched to Sonic only a year ago and it seemed you weren't typically raising prices. I'm on a fixed income and go for economy rates wherever I can find them. I don't spend the money to get cable or satellite tv; I just go for basic telephone and internet service.

But enough complaining! My question is: Do you expect to hold to this price for some time to come? When is the earliest that you would consider raising rates again?

Thanks.
Victoria
by pockyken007 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:26 pm
victoriawake wrote:I am disappointed that this increase has happened--just had it show up on my bill. I switched to Sonic only a year ago and it seemed you weren't typically raising prices. I'm on a fixed income and go for economy rates wherever I can find them. I don't spend the money to get cable or satellite tv; I just go for basic telephone and internet service.

But enough complaining! My question is: Do you expect to hold to this price for some time to come? When is the earliest that you would consider raising rates again?

Thanks.
Victoria
the 10$ increase was a significant one I agree with that , said that I assume it'll be some time ( long years ) till sonic raises prices again ( if at all ) .
by joe.higgins » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:12 am
Quote from a Sonic email I received yesterday:

"Sonic is bringing Gigabit Fiber Internet to your neighborhood! You lucky duck. That means symmetric speeds of up to 1,000 Mbps, along with the reliability and the super friendly customer service you already know and love from Sonic."

Maybe hell will suffer from some non existent global cooling?
by moogra » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:41 am
I checked out my address and it says "Expected Sept 2018"
597 posts Page 58 of 60