Fusion price increase and fiber expansion

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
597 posts Page 5 of 60
by Guest » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:16 pm
Pay an additional $10 a month so that other people can have faster connections? I don't think so.
For those of us that live in areas that will likely never see gigabit service from Sonic this is a big middle finger and a slap in the face.

I've already had an effective increase of $8/month by having to buy news server access elsewhere, I'm not going to eat another $10 with no foreseeable benefit to myself. Been a customer for ~12 years but I'm looking elsewhere ASAP.
by danielg4 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:33 pm
Guest wrote:I've already had an effective increase of $8/month by having to buy news server access elsewhere, ...
It would be great if there were a direct signup link to the $8/month plan in the relevant thread.
by PaxVob » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:14 pm
Sonic provides unparalleled quality and superb customer service. I have known Dane since he first started this business - and can confirm that he a. is a visionary; b. puts the customer first; c. cares deeply about privacy issues and d. has created a business full of integrity.

Price increases are never fun, but, as Dane laid out in his original explanation, it's a completely rational and appropriate response to changing technological and economic conditions.
by oddhack » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:49 am
Raise prices if you have to. That's capitalism. But I find the purported rationalization incredible, that is, not credible. That's because Sonic, in the form of Dane's posts on the forums, has been making lots of promises about fiber for about 6 years (maybe more; that's what I can recall) - but very few of those promises have come true. I therefore don't believe anything you say about schedules, and very much doubt that we'll see Sonic fiber in Alameda in "a few years".

Sonic no longer offers a compelling value proposition in terms of cost/performance except for those few people on your fiber network, or with very unusual needs such as needing to make lots of international phone calls on a POTS line. What you offer at this point is mostly just not being nearly as horrible as AT&T and Comcast in terms of how you treat customers. That has considerable value for some of us - it's the only reason I'm still a customer - but the value diminishes over time as your competitors continue to deploy actual improvements.
by oddhack » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:51 am
danielg4 wrote:
Guest wrote:I've already had an effective increase of $8/month by having to buy news server access elsewhere, ...
It would be great if there were a direct signup link to the $8/month plan in the relevant thread.
I just use www.eternal-september.org for what tiny amounts of Usenet are still worthwhile. Works adequately and is free.
by jnation2000 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:46 pm
A lot of reasonable, balanced, critical comments already so I'll just add a couple and provide my background for feedback.

1. This price increase notification should be emailed to all users not just posted in the forum. I checked my last two e-bills and there is nothing noted there, so if I hadn't seen this post I assume my first notification would have been an increased bill on my credit card? Not the best way to maintain your customer relationships IMO. Ironically the only reason I have been visiting the forum recently was to see if there was any news on more attractive options to my current Sonic service than those currently available.

2. Its your business to run as you see fit but IMO bumping the charges on the Fusion services, presumably affecting a substantial proportion of the 90% of your customer base not already on fiber and thus a quick way to increase margins for future investment, is also just as likely to prompt many to consider alternatives, especially when there is no indication on fiber rollout. Living where I do in San Jose I was unlikely to see even Google fiber service for another 2-3 years (if they had held to their planned schedule), so asking me to subsidize Sonic fiber for presumably at least as many years or more, assuming it ever gets here, is several bridges too far.

In my case I was already considering options for reasons that will become obvious, like others have mentioned bundled voice with its attendant taxes have no value for me at this point. I currently "enjoy" Fusion x1 at sub-4mbps download due to CO distance and at ~$57/mnth inc taxes which will now increase to ~$67/mnth. Clearly Fusion x2 is not attractive at this download speed. My only available option for a reasonable increase in speed versus cost from Sonic is Fusion FTTN x2 which will now be ~$96/mnth inc taxes with the new increase; it wasn't looking attractive at $86/mnth. For my needs just about any internet-only service option from the competition (Comcast, AT&T, DSLExtreme) is looking more attractive at this point. Its looking like Comcast 25mbps may be the best option, dependent on the install costs, versus DSLExtreme.

I wish Sonic the best for the future and if you ever make it with fiber to my neck of the woods I would likely be back. I have stayed with Sonic (probably too long for my own good) for the attributes that you outline but these aren't worth a potential $30-$40 per month premium (after the first year terms expire from competitors) for a service that is actually broadband.
by phr » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:19 pm
I notice that https://www.sonic.com/home-products says Fusion starts at $40/month and doesn't mention the increase, so it needs to be updated.

https://www.sonic.com/availability after entering my address says "$10 off" and that. Fusion starts at $30/month. I guess that's just for new subscribers, so they will get a $20 increase after the promo period Wonder how many will stick around.

I thought I posted about this last night but maybe I messed up somehow.
by praki » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:03 pm
Huh? I came here to look for a solution to my abysmal internet Fusion X1 speed. WIth my Fusion X1 I am seeing really low speeds of 6mbps download and 1mbps upload. I had Fusion X2 earlier and that made zero difference (one line was completely dead as per the device stats). I was hoping that Sonic FTTN would offer better speed and now with the price increase, I am reconsidering my opposition to cable service. While I don't mind the $10 increase and don't like cable at all, I won't be paying it for the current bandwidth.

Just my two-cents FWIW
by amayfield » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:54 pm
Hi Praki, I'd like to help out with your speeds if I can. There are a lot of variables that factor in to your overall speed, there could be an issue or trouble somewhere inhibiting your speeds.

I wasn't able to locate your account (I searched for praki), are you able to log-in to the forums with your Sonic Username and post a reply? I'll be able to locate your account then and proceed with troubleshooting. Alternatively you can Private Message me with your username and we can move forward from there.

I can also give you a call or send you an email, whatever your preferred method of correspondence is - just let me know!
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by pockyken007 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:58 pm
Dane is this fee increase set in stone or are you guys at Sonic still thinking about it and this is just a shout out to the community to see the reaction ?
597 posts Page 5 of 60