Fusion price increase and fiber expansion

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
597 posts Page 57 of 60
by steelgaze » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:06 am
kieths wrote:What I need to know is, how soon will Fremont receive gigabit fiber? At least which year? Could Sonic provide improved speeds now to existing customers via wireless access at various locations across the city?
1 and 2. They are not going to tell us.
3. No.
by digitalbitstream » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:36 pm
That's the weird thing. Sonic DOES support every bizarre modem people bring to the service. But if Sonic offered an official supported list of modems, they'd have a smaller support burden.
by dmliu010 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:17 am
Just got hit with the $10/mo price increase for Fiber. I still think it's a good deal, but why is Sonic still showing $40/mo on literally all their advertisements? Are only new customers getting the price of $40/mo now? To add to that, new customers seem to get first 6 months free apparently from the advertisement that I received at my workplace. I don't think I ever even got 1 month free when I signed up for Sonic 5 years ago for $53/mo (after taxes) lol.

I won't lie, I feel a little alienated for being a loyal customer for 5 years, sticking through various problems with the DSL service until the glorious Fiber got laid out, but receiving no benefits for being a loyal customer and instead a slap on the back of the neck.

I understand the need to lure in new customers, but this just smacks of why I left AT&T in the first place (i.e. getting a great deal for the 1st year, then needing to call to "re-negotiate" things/threaten to switch to another provider).

But eh... whatever. I guess.
by ankh » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:42 pm
We got a postcard (US Mail) announcing Sonic would be doing something on the telephone poles on our block toward eventual service. Other neighbors got the same notice and were rather pleased to get the attention.

So what's happening? You know where we live.
94706, Berkeley/Albany border
by steelgaze » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:28 am
dmliu010 wrote:Just got hit with the $10/mo price increase for Fiber. I still think it's a good deal, but why is Sonic still showing $40/mo on literally all their advertisements? Are only new customers getting the price of $40/mo now? To add to that, new customers seem to get first 6 months free apparently from the advertisement that I received at my workplace. I don't think I ever even got 1 month free when I signed up for Sonic 5 years ago for $53/mo (after taxes) lol.
This is really Sonic's way of rewarding long term customers. They throw out bait for 6 months free to only new customers. I've seen the ads too but I don't qualify because I am an existing customer. I guess that makes sense.

Also it's pretty much a semantics game with the 40/month advertising. Service is 50/month. If you rent a 10 dollar modem, they take 10 off the 50 base price, so they can technically (I guess) advertise service costs 40, but there's a 10 dollar modem add-on to that. The result is a 50 dollar + taxes bill either way.
by pockyken007 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:52 am
steelgaze wrote:
dmliu010 wrote:Just got hit with the $10/mo price increase for Fiber. I still think it's a good deal, but why is Sonic still showing $40/mo on literally all their advertisements? Are only new customers getting the price of $40/mo now? To add to that, new customers seem to get first 6 months free apparently from the advertisement that I received at my workplace. I don't think I ever even got 1 month free when I signed up for Sonic 5 years ago for $53/mo (after taxes) lol.
This is really Sonic's way of rewarding long term customers. They throw out bait for 6 months free to only new customers. I've seen the ads too but I don't qualify because I am an existing customer. I guess that makes sense.

Also it's pretty much a semantics game with the 40/month advertising. Service is 50/month. If you rent a 10 dollar modem, they take 10 off the 50 base price, so they can technically (I guess) advertise service costs 40, but there's a 10 dollar modem add-on to that. The result is a 50 dollar + taxes bill either way.

are you really going to complain about 62$ ( after fees and taxes )for a symmetrical fiber connection ? jeez I guess some people are never happy ... also sonic is upfront with their fees / taxes etc so there is that too ...
by dmliu010 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:59 am
pockyken007 wrote:
steelgaze wrote:

are you really going to complain about 62$ ( after fees and taxes )for a symmetrical fiber connection ? jeez I guess some people are never happy ... also sonic is upfront with their fees / taxes etc so there is that too ...
I am not complaining about $62/mo for the service. I think the service is great and well worth the price. I would still be using it even if it was a $20 or even $30 price increase. I'm just miffed that all the advertisement shows $40/mo when it's actually just $40/mo for 1 year. FYI, even shit companies like AT&T and Comcast put asterisks with a sentence stating that the price is only for 12/mo or however long the intro price is.

Just showing $40/mo is borderline false advertisement, if not out-right false advertisement.
by miken » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:45 am
dmliu010 wrote:I'm just miffed that all the advertisement shows $40/mo when it's actually just $40/mo for 1 year.
These advertisements are aimed at new users - who do get $40/mo. We strive for transparency and whether the sign up is over the phone or our website we take steps so that the potential user knows that the price will increase after the first 12 months (the same way we do with any other kind of promotional pricing). Advertisements have limited visible space and should give the user an idea of what they should expect ($40/mo plus taxes and fees) with the actual sign up giving them the full terms (promotional pricing, broken down taxes and fees, etc).
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by pockyken007 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:25 pm
When I signed up for SONIC I was clearly informed about the promotional pricing and all applicable taxes and fees ( and that's just from me going to their website , punching in my address and selecting the service ) so I am really confused when you say they hide something ... I agree that their posters or their trucks say 40$/Month which I *could* potentially see as " misleading " BUT the sign up process ( so the process before buying the actual product ) has a Clear step by step pricing including fees / taxes / promo offers ...
by DJR510 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:53 pm
pockyken007 wrote: are you really going to complain about 62$ ( after fees and taxes )for a symmetrical fiber connection ? jeez I guess some people are never happy ... also sonic is upfront with their fees / taxes etc so there is that too ...
Hell no, I won't complain about that, let me run to get my checkbook and send $62 to Sonic!!

Oh, that price doesn't get me fiber, because I don't live in SF? Gets me 20 mbps VDSL on AT&T infrastructure?

Yeaaaahhhh ... never mind.
597 posts Page 57 of 60