Fusion price increase and fiber expansion

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
597 posts Page 44 of 60
by pockyken007 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:43 pm
shipo99 wrote:
blackmage wrote:I think you and a lot of other people are looking at this the wrong way. ATT and Comcast raise their pricing all the time with no explanation. Sonic is raising it to fund their Fiber. I don't think their using it as an excuse, but as an explanation due to them striving for transparency.
Considering that you are from a fantasy world does it truly matter what you think? I know how I feel. I know how my housemates feel. We are now paying $70/mth. That's a lot of money for what we are getting. Switching to another provider could see that drop to $35/mth for very similar service (with faster DLs).

But let me point something out to you. I am not a banker. I am not a financier. I did not sign up with Sonic to fund their expansion. Now if they profit from my patronage, and employ said profit into expansion I am okay with that process. But upping my rates when they already make me pay extra for a phone line, extra for a coupler (because their service never worked well with my very expensive unit), and extort extra money if I don't sign up for automatic withdrawal. This extra $10 isn't just an extra ten bucks, it's the proverbial straw breaking the camel's back.

The sleeping dogs are getting kicked, and they are waking up angry.
then they need to be put down :o :o :o

https://youtu.be/Qkuu0Lwb5EM

Jokes aside , Sonic hasn't raised prices in a long long time they were way overdue to do that in order to expand / build out infrastructure ... ( look at ATT , Comcast how they raise prices with 0 improvements for the end user ) . Sonic also extremely well explained why they raise the prices and where these funds will be used - service expansion that will benefit users in the long run ...
by FTTN_user » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:39 pm
pockyken007 wrote:... service expansion that will benefit users in the long run ...
Since Sonic won't build fiber where AT&T and Google are, "benefit a minority of users" is probably a more accurate description.
by pockyken007 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:28 pm
FTTN_user wrote:
pockyken007 wrote:... service expansion that will benefit users in the long run ...
Since Sonic won't build fiber where AT&T and Google are, "benefit a minority of users" is probably a more accurate description.
maybe if they had capital to build out faster ( aka price increase ) they would be able to change the MINORITY into MAJORITY ? catch 22 the way I see it .
by bubba198 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:12 pm
those with FTTH contract where the promise was $40/month do get the $10 credit automatically until their contract expires
sonic.PNG
sonic.PNG (14.19 KiB) Viewed 7530 times
by miken » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:14 am
bubba198 wrote:those with FTTH contract where the promise was $40/month do get the $10 credit automatically until their contract expires
That actually goes for all Fusion customers in the initial 12 month contract - FTTH, FTTN and xDSL services.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by Sunsei » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:18 pm
I would GLADLY pay $50/month +taxes/fees for uncapped 1Gbit service from Sonic. I currently spend $70/month (+ tax/fees) for 200Mbit "blast pro" service from Comcast and the max DL speed I ever see at any time using any speed test is 50Mbit. That is with my computer connected physically via ethernet to the router...

Anyone complaining about the increase to $50/mo is absolutely nuts IMO. Not to mention your privacy is not being lost with Sonic.. Jeeze..
by danielg4 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:24 pm
Sunsei wrote:I would GLADLY pay $50/month +taxes/fees for uncapped 1Gbit service from Sonic. I currently spend $70/month (+ tax/fees) for 200Mbit "blast pro" service from Comcast and the max DL speed I ever see at any time using any speed test is 50Mbit. That is with my computer connected physically via ethernet to the router...

Anyone complaining about the increase to $50/mo is absolutely nuts IMO. Not to mention your privacy is not being lost with Sonic.. Jeeze..
At least you're getting 50Mbit. On Sonic, some people are paying up to $90/month and getting less than 5Mbit.
by oddhack » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:30 am
I expect almost every Sonic customer would happily pay $50/month for fiber. But very few of us are ever going to get that option, and it's not what the great majority of discussion in this thread is about.
by andsonic » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:57 pm
oddhack wrote:I expect almost every Sonic customer would happily pay $50/month for fiber. But very few of us are ever going to get that option, and it's not what the great majority of discussion in this thread is about.

I think Sonic is planning a pretty wide deployment of fiber but:
1) they're not going to talk about it until its "shovel ready".
2) Different jurisdictions approve microtrenching (where there is underground utilities).

The first thing I understood from Dane's announcement was that the reason that they were going to raise rates, is because they are going to significantly expand the service area with fiber.
I could be wrong, but I did not take it as "we're just going to add a few more streets in the Sunset District" I kind of feel that a lot of people on this thread did take it that way.
I fully expect that there will be significant expansion in many other cities. Particularly where there are overhead utilities.

As far as the price increase is concerned: $10 sucks. But this is the first rate increase in many, many years. The other ISP's have done that kind of rate hike almost every year.

Finally, at least with AT&T fiber, Sonic customers are already getting the "FTTN" product in neighborhoods served by AT&T Fiber. If you are in one of those neighborhoods, then you can chose: $100+ for AT&T gigapower, or $40-$60 for capped speeds thru Sonic.
Additionally, AT&T and Google are pulling back from fiber deployment. Sonic is the only ISP I know of that is still bullish on this delivery technology. Companies that provide cell service are moving towards 5G.

Sorry for the extremely long post. I just wanted to add some perspective.
by pockyken007 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:34 pm
andsonic wrote:
oddhack wrote:I expect almost every Sonic customer would happily pay $50/month for fiber. But very few of us are ever going to get that option, and it's not what the great majority of discussion in this thread is about.

I think Sonic is planning a pretty wide deployment of fiber but:
1) they're not going to talk about it until its "shovel ready".
2) Different jurisdictions approve microtrenching (where there is underground utilities).

The first thing I understood from Dane's announcement was that the reason that they were going to raise rates, is because they are going to significantly expand the service area with fiber.
I could be wrong, but I did not take it as "we're just going to add a few more streets in the Sunset District" I kind of feel that a lot of people on this thread did take it that way.
I fully expect that there will be significant expansion in many other cities. Particularly where there are overhead utilities.

As far as the price increase is concerned: $10 sucks. But this is the first rate increase in many, many years. The other ISP's have done that kind of rate hike almost every year.

Finally, at least with AT&T fiber, Sonic customers are already getting the "FTTN" product in neighborhoods served by AT&T Fiber. If you are in one of those neighborhoods, then you can chose: $100+ for AT&T gigapower, or $40-$60 for capped speeds thru Sonic.
Additionally, AT&T and Google are pulling back from fiber deployment. Sonic is the only ISP I know of that is still bullish on this delivery technology. Companies that provide cell service are moving towards 5G.

Sorry for the extremely long post. I just wanted to add some perspective.

Don't bother brother 99% of these people won't understand anything you posted all they are concerned about is the 10$ ...
597 posts Page 44 of 60