What's the total cost plus taxes and fees?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
11 posts Page 1 of 2
by chaaa » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:26 pm
I want to get the Fusion X2, but it only states $50. But what's actual total per month? I'm in SF. I heard you also have to rent a modem which is extra. Can't I buy my own?
by outsider » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:20 am
closer to $60 after rental and taxes and fees for residential internet in SF
by chaaa » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:08 pm
I spoke with a CSR. It looks like the $30 plan I could use my own modem that's easy to find. The $50 plan modem isn't available for consumer purchase? What kind of modem is it?
by danielg4 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:01 pm
They have different possible services, with the following before-tax prices:
Fusion DSL X1: $40/mo
Fusion DSL X2: $60/mo
Fusion FTTN X1: $40/mo
Fusion FTTN X2: $60/mo
Fusion Gigabit Fiber: $40/mo
You can use your own modem for DSL X1, and it's also technically allowed to use your own for DSL X2, but modems capable of DSL X2 are rare. For FTTN, you are required to use the supplied modem and to rent an Analog Telephone Adapter in addition to it. No modem is needed for Gigabit Fiber, but you are supplied one as a router anyway, unless you opt out of free service calls, just like for DSL.
by chaaa » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:56 pm
Can you tell me what modems I will need to dsl x1 and 2? You said it's rare, but I want to find one anyway. How do I know if I'm getting DSL or FTTN? The sites only lists Fusion x1/2.
by dane » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:16 pm
chaaa wrote:Can you tell me what modems I will need to dsl x1 and 2? You said it's rare, but I want to find one anyway. How do I know if I'm getting DSL or FTTN? The sites only lists Fusion x1/2.
It depends upon the location and technology. For example, with Fusion X1, a site could be VDSL2, or ADSL2+, and if the latter, it could be ATM, or PTM transport. With Fusion X2, again it could be VDSL2 or ADSL2+, and the bonding could be ATM g.Bond, or PTM bonding. Also, if you want to manage the line profile to allow for upload priority as an option, Annex M support would be needed. (And all of this is moot with Fusion FTTN X1/X2, which has mandatory CPE due to authentication requirements from the underlying carrier.)

Note you'd also be subject to charges for truck rolls in future, the equipment and wire plan is an end-to-end service solution, so those who opt out pay instead of technician visits if the issue is with household wiring or equipment.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by danielg4 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:20 pm
The only ones compatible with X2 DSL that I've seen mentioned have been the "Bonding" ones from this page:
http://www.kasda.cn/GHCSZ/product-3.html
For X1, any VDSL2 device supporting the 17a profile should work, and there are many. VDSL2 devices all support PTM and are backward-compatible with ADSL2+ and usually ATM.
by phr » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:41 pm
I have Fusion X1 and it's $59.xx after modem rental, taxes, and various other fees. It's about to go up by $10 to finance fiber buildout in faraway places (fiber not likely to be available in my neighborhood anytime soon).

Iirc, X2 is $20 more than X1 and there's probably some additional tax too, so after the $10 increase you're probably looking at close to $90/month. Also you can't necessarily get X2. I have X1 but am told X2 isn't available in my location because of issues with internal copper wiring.
by Guest » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:56 am
My X2 pricing was $62 total after taxes (including the $9.50 modem fee) when I switched over last year; that was with a $20/mo promo.

With the new price increase and my promo expiring, I'm looking at around $90/mo for X2 at around 18Mbps down & 2Mbps up.
by james.melendez » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:02 am
I was shocked when I received a very large bill of $194.10 instead of the $49.99 plus taxes which represents 172% increase over the past month. I had asked three times when I would see the charges hit my account and so as I understand it I am charged for two services in one month and will get a mysterious credit.

I spoke with three people about the installation and charges and those were three people who could have made me aware of this. There were three plus opportunities to alert--each person I spoke with could have explained a shocking first bill and the system or even customer service should alert ahead of time of billing increases of 172%. No one cared to and also Product Manager could have lent a hand by having a system alert for any new service requested.

Talking to customer "billing" it was a person who I felt didn't adequately explain the 172% increase and why I don't see this advertised price. I won't believe there is a credit until I see it in my account and have to take this increase of 172% is ongoing?????!!!

Customer service has yet to deal with this properly. Your Executive Management should have to experience these surprises and have to experience what normal paying customers have to go through.
11 posts Page 1 of 2