Apple TimeCapsule as WIFI-Router behind Modem

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by agav » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:20 pm
Hi,

Got my modem (ordered just the simple modem) yesterday and am very happy with the service so far... Just one oddity - I can't get my Apple TimeCapsule to do NAT, being connected to the modem which is (my guess) just a bridge. So, right now, both devices are in bridge and I get 50.x.x.x addresses on all internal devices.

1) My IPs are public ones. Does that mean that my devices are exposed to direct incoming traffic (wanted and unwanted)? And why can I still see network internal devices among themselves?

2) If I want to give my internal network something like a range of 10.0.0.x addresses and let my TimeCapsule handle NAT and DHCP, how would I set this up?

3) Disadvantages / advantages of both configurations?

Thanks guys!
by saronian » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:48 pm
My AirPort Extreme (same setup as TimeCapsule) is setup to Share a Public IP Address, and connects to a ZTE831 using DHCP. The AirPort picks up IP Address, Subnet Mask, Router Address, and DNS Servers from the ZTE automatically. In the AirPort's DHCP tab I can pick the LAN IP range and other settings.

I have a Mac mini set to receive a set local IP and then use the AirPort's NAT settings to assign ports to the Mac mini's IP.

This was the only way I could get the ZTE831 modem to work with the AirPort and have both Private and Guest WiFi networks.
by agav » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:51 am
Hi Saronian,
saronian wrote:My AirPort Extreme (same setup as TimeCapsule) is setup to Share a Public IP Address, and connects to a ZTE831 using DHCP. The AirPort picks up IP Address, Subnet Mask, Router Address, and DNS Servers from the ZTE automatically. In the AirPort's DHCP tab I can pick the LAN IP range and other settings.
That finally worked. I discovered that the public IP addresses you get assigned when being connected directly over the bridge expose you to the internet too. All incoming connections can be directly addressed to every one of your devices. So, I am happy to being able to hide in a private internal network.
3 posts Page 1 of 1