Fiber / FTTN in San Carlos, CA

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by tovbinm » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:43 pm
Hello, Sonic team!

Are theew any plans deploying Fiber / FTTN in San Carlos, CA any time soon?

Thank you.
by amayfield » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:23 am
Hello,

We do currently have FTTN service available in San Carlos, have you checked your address for availability? You can do so at www.sonic.com/availability. Regarding Fiber deployment - we are still focused on finishing up our deployments in the Sunset and Richmond districts in San Francisco so we haven't yet determined where we are headed next. Current customer density is a big factor in that decision so if you know anybody needing internet let them know about Sonic!
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by tovbinm » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:13 pm
Yes, I did check the availability and only Fusion X1/2 is available.

In any case, it would be great to get an occasional email from you guys on current/future project developments, especially for fiber connectivity.
by jonocampo » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:28 pm
Just got Sonic Gigabit Fiber installed today. Cross streets San Carlos and Chestnut.
by jonwetherbee » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:19 pm
I just signed up tonight, on Cherry St near Cedar. Haven't heard when installation will happen, but I'm encouraged to hear that you're already up and running, only a block or so away.

Any bandwidth and latency numbers you'd like to share?

TIA,
Jon
by ulfn » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:28 pm
Hi there, we have had the FTTN single speed through ATT with Sonic for a few years and are quite happy with it. Speed depends on distance to the note. Here in San Jose we get
25ms ping, 23.5 Mbps up and 1.8 Mbps down
with speedtest.net .
The service is generally very reliable, every once in a while the ATT Uverse gateway RG5268AC modem needs to be reset (unplug,, wait 10 seconds, plug back in, wait a minute to reboot) but other than that no issues.
Hope your install went well and you get decent speed and ping in San Carlos.
by alistairadams » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:38 pm
jonocampo wrote:Just got Sonic Gigabit Fiber installed today. Cross streets San Carlos and Chestnut.
Are they running over AT&T fiber or is it their own?
What boxes (ONT/Router) are they providing that they require to be used?

I currently have AT&T Fiber and have sorted out my home wifi/network/cabling so trying to get a heads up on what's likely to happen during installation.
by jonocampo » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:02 pm
jonwetherbee wrote:I just signed up tonight, on Cherry St near Cedar. Haven't heard when installation will happen, but I'm encouraged to hear that you're already up and running, only a block or so away.

Any bandwidth and latency numbers you'd like to share?

TIA,
Jon

Speeds vary throughout the day, but at non-peak hours I get 950+down and up.

At peak hours, I see it vary from 600-800down, but it still holds a solid 900+up. When downloading steam games, I can get 110MB/s, it's amazing.

$49.99 a month, and that includes a $10 phone service you can't remove from the bill.

The story goes - Sonic wasn't making a whole lot of progress running fiber and sharing with already existing telecom infrastructure was being blocked when they were only offering internet only. Once they were qualified as a utility with every account having a phone line, it seemed they were able to circumvent those blocks, at least here in San Carlos.
by jonocampo » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:03 pm
alistairadams wrote:
jonocampo wrote:Just got Sonic Gigabit Fiber installed today. Cross streets San Carlos and Chestnut.
Are they running over AT&T fiber or is it their own?
What boxes (ONT/Router) are they providing that they require to be used?

I currently have AT&T Fiber and have sorted out my home wifi/network/cabling so trying to get a heads up on what's likely to happen during installation.
It's Sonic's own fiber, and not the FTTN-via-ATT stuff. It's amazing, and I shared the download/upload speed in my reply above. The ONT box in my house is the size of a deck of cards, and has an RJ-11 and an RJ-45 port. I am using my own phone and own router and setup was a breeze.
9 posts Page 1 of 1