Whole Home Ethernet

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
29 posts Page 1 of 3
by JohnSR4 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:13 pm
Curious, is it company policy to install whole home ethernet cables to the main comm box, and have the main line go thru the switch rather than the router?

Thanks
by dane » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:20 pm
For homes with pre-wired Ethernet cabling, we offer a service where we provide a Gigabit switch and connect and test up to seven jacks in the home. The cost is $199.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by JohnSR4 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:57 pm
Hi Dane,

Yes I got that, but the ADSL line that was installed was connected to the switch first port 1, then port two connects to the router, isn't it supposed to be router 1st, then router port to switch ? I believe it to be the reason my network can't recognized any devices that connected to my wire ethenet ports, or should I just configure the router manually to have the same IP and subnet as the switch?

Thanks
by dane » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:41 pm
It doesn't matter which port on a switch is connected to the gateway (router.) Conmected devices get an IP and gateway assignment via DHCP automatically.

Did things work, and did you change anything?

Is this DSL, or a gigabit fiber connection?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by JohnSR4 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:21 am
Hi dane,

It's a GB fiber, everything is on DHCP the switch has a 184.x.x.x IP and the router had a 192.x.x.x, different gateway and sub net from each other ... I've never gotten the wired connection working except (well I called to have the Mac Flush, then it work for 12 hours, then gone again)when I switch back to my comcast router, just because the main line is a coax, and I run port 1 to the ethernet going to the router, so basically from comcast it's from router to switch and everything on DHCP and all connected wired devices are all on the same IP, sub, gate address, but when i switch to sonic, it's switch, then router and both has a total diff IP, sub, gate, DNS, I did change the DHCP network range to the 10.x but that's just yesterday
by tkorjohpete1 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:33 am
sorry no edit? ohh have to be log in as member

I like to run TCP optimizer for a better gaming experience, not sure if this is overwhelming the switch/router and causing it to lose connectivity to each other, but for 10 years it was no problem with comcast and shouldn't really affect your system as well ..I just cloned my HDD so every settings I had from the last ten years are still there ...Should I configure the DHCP Network Range manually to the 184.x.x.x address and subnet? if so what is the First and last DHCP Address
by dane » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:30 am
tkorjohpete1 wrote:sorry no edit? ohh have to be log in as member

I like to run TCP optimizer for a better gaming experience, not sure if this is overwhelming the switch/router and causing it to lose connectivity to each other, but for 10 years it was no problem with comcast and shouldn't really affect your system as well ..I just cloned my HDD so every settings I had from the last ten years are still there ...Should I configure the DHCP Network Range manually to the 184.x.x.x address and subnet? if so what is the First and last DHCP Address
Sorry, this is a bit complex for a forum discussion, but I'll take a pass at it.

For a gigabit fiber customer, you've got an optical network terminal (ONT), which outputs voice and Ethernet. That Ethernet is connected to the red "ONT Broadband" input port on the Sonic Pace residential gateway. Then devices can be connected to any of the four yellow Ethernet ports on that router.

In a whole-home switch deployment, we take one of those outputs and connect it to a cable that goes to the switch. Then the other seven ports on the switch can be connected to wiring that goes to jacks around the home.

If you wanted to deploy your own router between the Pace and the switch, you could do that, but we wouldn't be able to provide support assistance, as it's not a Sonic-supplied device. Basically, we support the output (both WiFi and Ethernet) of the Sonic Pace gateway. Beyond that, your household network is up to you.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by tkorjohpete1 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:39 am
dane wrote:
tkorjohpete1 wrote:sorry no edit? ohh have to be log in as member

Sorry, this is a bit complex for a forum discussion, but I'll take a pass at it.

For a gigabit fiber customer, you've got an optical network terminal (ONT), which outputs voice and Ethernet. That Ethernet is connected to the red "ONT Broadband" input port on the Sonic Pace residential gateway. Then devices can be connected to any of the four yellow Ethernet ports on that router.

In a whole-home switch deployment, we take one of those outputs and connect it to a cable that goes to the switch. Then the other seven ports on the switch can be connected to wiring that goes to jacks around the home.

Last comment

https://www.flickr.com/photos/11175301@ ... ed-public/ This is how it was setup ..the ADSL line is on Switch first which goes to the whole home and router - sorry the image link isn't active/doesn't work
by Guest » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:06 am
Dane has it right. Connect an ethernet cable between the ONT to your router's WAN port, and the yellow cable from your Netgear switch to one of your router's ports. If your Netgear has an IP it may also be doing something unexpected since it's a managed switch. You'd be responsible to fix that.
by tkorjohpete1 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:11 pm
so
Guest wrote:Dane has it right. Connect an ethernet cable between the ONT to your router's WAN port, and the yellow cable from your Netgear switch to one of your router's ports. If your Netgear has an IP it may also be doing something unexpected since it's a managed switch. You'd be responsible to fix that.
The Photo is the actual way sonic installed my whole home ethernet ... from what I understand, the yellow cable should go to the router first ONT? then from the router port connects back to the switch port 1 to make port 2-8 workable?
so you're saying the photo setup is wrong?
29 posts Page 1 of 3