Whole Home Ethernet

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
29 posts Page 3 of 3
by dane » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:52 am
Guest wrote:
dane wrote:(It will, sorta, work: devices on the switch directly connected to the ONT will be allocated an IP via DHCP, up to the limit of 8 IPs, but you'll be connected without firewalling
Perfect for those who don't like censorship.
Censorship by who? NAT/Firewalling in the Sonic Pace residential gateway doesn't do any sort of content filtering.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by tkorjohpete1 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:14 pm
dane wrote:
Guest wrote:
dane wrote:(It will, sorta, work: devices on the switch directly connected to the ONT will be allocated an IP via DHCP, up to the limit of 8 IPs, but you'll be connected without firewalling
Perfect for those who don't like censorship.
Censorship by who? NAT/Firewalling in the Sonic Pace residential gateway doesn't do any sort of content filtering.

I think that was meant to be a joke ;-)
by userr32424 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:44 pm
dane wrote:For homes with pre-wired Ethernet cabling, we offer a service where we provide a Gigabit switch and connect and test up to seven jacks in the home. The cost is $199.
$199 seems pretty cheap. Does it include drilling holes in the wall and patching up drywall?
by dane » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:19 pm
userr32424 wrote:
dane wrote:For homes with pre-wired Ethernet cabling, we offer a service where we provide a Gigabit switch and connect and test up to seven jacks in the home. The cost is $199.
$199 seems pretty cheap. Does it include drilling holes in the wall and patching up drywall?
No, this is an option for homes with pre-wired Ethernet.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Just Visiting » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:16 pm
My house is prewired for cable (Coaxial) and phone (RJ 11 I believe). Is there a way that the service can use/replace these pre-wired cables for Gigabit ethernet?
by wa2ibm » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:25 am
Just Visiting wrote:My house is prewired for cable (Coaxial) and phone (RJ 11 I believe). Is there a way that the service can use/replace these pre-wired cables for Gigabit ethernet?
It depends on what type of wire/cable the builders used for the telephone lines. Is it just quad-olive (four wires, not twisted) or did they use 4-pair? If 4-pair, is it Cat3 (telephone) or Cat5 or 6? Many times they do use cat5e since it's widely available and doesn't cost much different than Cat3.

It you're really lucky, they used the Cat5 and it can be re-purposed for gig Ethernet with the proper connectors.

Bill
by ankh » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:32 am
Hm.

Do any of the Sonic installers "moonlight" helping people wire old houses for Ethernet, to bring the house up to baseline for the $200 setup service?

EDIT: or can someone recommend where to find such help in the Berkeley/Albany area?

I can do Ethernet wiring and drilling and box installation myself but I've gotten old and creaky for working under the house. I've put sheet plastic over the dirt and there's good lighting, so it's not a horror environment. And I have a spouse who wants the work to look pretty when done.
by ankh » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:26 am
Hm.

Well, I'll ask LMi.net -- they're nearby, I know t hey're reselling Sonic service, but they do maintenance on an older neighbor's Windows and wiring stuff so maybe they're a resource for creating home Ethernet wiring in our older house. Time will tell.
by digitalbitstream » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:35 pm
I've advised several local new fiber customers that to get the full experience of Sonic fiber, they need a wired connection. Seems like there would be demand for Sonic to do internal wiring, setting up a connection to a key PC or media center with reliable CAT5e/6 gigabit ready Ethernet.
29 posts Page 3 of 3