Problems with Pace 5268AC, Fusion X2 and traffic management

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by A Sonic Customer » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:23 pm
Hi,

The Pace 5268AC seems to really struggle with high upload traffic. One device is capable of crashing the entire network, which is not ideal! This happens daily whenever an iOS device tries to do an iCloud backup, which can take 20-30 minutes. I am sure you must have many customers who also have this issue, given that iOS devices are fairly common.

I contacted front-line support about this twice, but they understandably couldn't do much, since the Pace also doesn't have any QoS settings.

I had to buy a cheap $30 TP-Link 450M router to resolve this.

To compare:

My normal speeds (Fusion X2)* - http://netgauge.ookla.com/share/527742167.png
During a backup, with only the Pace modem/router - http://netgauge.ookla.com/share/528957349.png
During a backup, through the TP-Link router with default settings - http://netgauge.ookla.com/share/528961606.png

During a backup, through the TP-Link router and with its QoS features enabled brings it back to normal and usable, though with a lower upload speed, but ping/latency is fine. The iOS backup also completes a lot faster with QoS enabled too.

(* yes, sadly, these speeds are accurate...we should be getting twice this given our distance to the exchange, but such is life)

Posting this just to raise awareness. Don't really know what can be done about it. It was a shame we had to buy an additional router to fix this issue, it would be nice if the router we're renting from Sonic could've handled this. "Turning off backups" (or any other high-upload service) isn't really an option though, because this is a shared internet connection, and I can't really dictate what other people do on the line. An iOS backup seems an entirely reasonable use-case to me too.

We used to have nominally slower service with AT&T (about 60-70% of the Sonic Fusion X2 line speed), but their modem/router handled the iOS backups just fine, which is why I think the issue is with the Pace itself.
by A Sonic Customer » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:25 pm
I should add that, even without the QoS settings enabled, web browsing was at least semi-usable with the TP-Link during a backup, albeit much slower. When using the Pace as the router, web browsing just flat out crawls, if it works at all.
by dane » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:26 pm
Pace is working on implementation of QoS which would allow ACK prioritization, FYI. We don't yet have that code, but it's coming, and once tested, will be rolled out automatically to all customers.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by A Sonic Customer » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:35 pm
That's fantastic to hear, thanks!

Would there be a way to be notified when this update is available, like a mailing list or similar?
by dane » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:42 pm
A Sonic Customer wrote:That's fantastic to hear, thanks!

Would there be a way to be notified when this update is available, like a mailing list or similar?
It'd just happen automatically, but I'll ask that team to post a system message (MOTD) as that roll-out kicks off.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by A Sonic Customer » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:18 pm
Great, will keep an eye out for it! Still really glad to be a Sonic customer - especially for this kind of open/honest support. It's just this one issue that's been driving us crazy, so will look forward to it being resolved.
by crockwood » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:45 pm
I also have this issue but with Carbonite on a Pace 4111N. Will the QoS update be for all Sonic routers and is there any indication of when this fix will be implemented? REALLY looking forward to having this abnoxious issue resolved and VERY glad that Sonic is both aware of it and pushing Pace for a fix.
by herbfish » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:14 pm
How do I turn on QoS on my Pace 5268AC Router. The router fails at BufferBloat when I run the DSLReports speed test (http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest), and I saw in a fac that this can be resolved by turning on QoS in your router. I have looked at all the settings and can't find where to turn it on. I noticed that Dane from Sonic stated in this string that QoS would be added to the router with an update (see below), but that was back in 2016! I would think it should have been done by now (April 2018).
by dane » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:32 pm
herbfish wrote:How do I turn on QoS on my Pace 5268AC Router. The router fails at BufferBloat when I run the DSLReports speed test (http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest), and I saw in a fac that this can be resolved by turning on QoS in your router. I have looked at all the settings and can't find where to turn it on. I noticed that Dane from Sonic stated in this string that QoS would be added to the router with an update (see below), but that was back in 2016! I would think it should have been done by now (April 2018).
Is it a Sonic unit, or an AT&T one?

For units we manage, we've pushed out firmware some months back which engaged new upstream ACK prioritization, which helps downstream speed during times you are congesting your upstream. Sorry, no idea how this would related to bufferbloat either way.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
9 posts Page 1 of 1