Do you not know what will work with your system?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by Guest » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:06 pm
I call up to sign up for Sonic 2 phone line and internet. At the moment I have at@t
I want the system for a family of 4 spread out all over the place . I ask about sonic wireless range
and was told 30 feet . Well that would not work . I ask what booster would work well with Sonic
system .The agent I talk to said he did not know what would work with the Sonic Router.
That that would be my problem. I do not mind buying what I need to make it work . I do n want to waste my money and time for looking for something. Do you not know what will work with your system? Lynda
by Guest » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:15 pm
It sounds like you're trying to do some home networking? I can't really tell from your explanation. I don't believe the company is responsible for helping you setup your own network.

Either way, just buy a wireless router. If the signal is too low then buy a wireless access point and chain it to your router at another point in your house. At least that is what I do since I have a good and stable wired router and a spare wireless router which I turned into a WAP. I am going to buy another Linksys WRT54GL soon.
by Guest » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:14 pm
No,I just want each person in the family to be able to to be able to use their computer using the wireless router
that Sonic sell to use with their 2-line system
but please read some other posts not all wireless router work with Sonic system. I has a problem when I hook
with at&t I brought 3 different booster before I found that the only thing that work well with the 2wire router that
at&t sent me was a 2 wire booster. Not just any wireless router with work with Sonic 2 line system. At least that what I was told that my 2 wire "might work" with the 1 line but not the 2 line . I'm not asking them to set up my system
Just let me know what will work with their system.
by guest » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:44 pm
I ask what booster would work well with Sonic system
As the previous poster mentioned, most wireless access points (WAP) would work with the combo modem/router that Sonic sells for their bonded Fusion ... if you are seeking a WAP to provide more wireless coverage at your home. The WAP does not know or care what type of internet access (single line dsl, bonded dsl, cable modem, satellite) you use.

two-line bonded Fusion -> P-663HN-51 -> WAP

some reading material about wireless coverage and 'how to add an access point to a wireless router'
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics
by gp1628 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:46 am
Ive been on the other side of this and its amazing the many MANY things that can be done, that users expect the ISP to already have tried and perfected.

Personally Ive always found it refreshing that instead of the usual "it wont work" or BS answer, Sonic actually says "we dont know" and directs us to the forums. That works so much better. You might also ask in ba.internet newsgroup which is full of bay area telecom experts
5 posts Page 1 of 1