Fiber East-West Streets Inner Richmond

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
18 posts Page 2 of 2
by MellowOnArguello » Mon May 15, 2017 4:50 pm
Just commenting on here since I know it gets viewed regularly by Sonic higher-ups. (which I appreciate!)

I'm a loyal Sonic customer living on Anza (near Arguello) and I am BEGGING for FTTN to get installed soon. I am currently on a 2x Fusion line but it's just barely enough for my wife and I to work on. A big part of why we signed onto Sonic was of course the values but every time I try to upload files for work my whole system goes to a crawl (and it's several GB at times so we are talking about many hours at a time for these uploads).

I know a big part of the rollout is due to the lines being above ground, but if we have to pay a few extra bucks to get a longer cable to stretch from the nearby Avenues, I am sure there are many like me that will pay extra for it!

Thanks again for the great work and please finish the rollout here in the Richmond before spreading to the other neighborhoods! I saw the announcement of the Mission rollout today, but you're not even on Arguello yet!
by steelgaze » Mon May 15, 2017 11:36 pm
The rollout for the richmond and Sunset are essentually finished as far as I can tell. You'll have to wait for micro-trenching to have Arguello wired for FTTH. I'd also expect there might be installation costs because up until now, they havent needed to feed underground wires to connect a home.
by sabster » Mon May 22, 2017 6:54 pm
steelgaze wrote:I don't know what your rate tier is for Comcast, but I find for just internet-only packages, not too outside of the pricing norms. If you want to stay around where you would pay for Sonic Fiber, it's about 62/month. A similar rate plan at comcast is 100 mbps or 25mbps. Both very usable speed tiers.

Is it 1gigabit? Of course not but let's be honest.. you probably arent unless you are using it for business related activities.
My only options for Sonic are 10 or 20 mbps, and when I called they told me installation to get wired up for that would cost a couple hundred. I'm tired of Comcast, but that doesn't seem like a good enough trade, especially if my neighbors are the only ones who are going to have access to Fiber for the foreseeable future.
by steelgaze » Mon May 22, 2017 9:17 pm
I see.

I would suggest staying on comcast and waiting until Sonic wires up W/E streets for your position.

You're stuck, like a lot of other people.
by mellowonarguello » Tue May 23, 2017 7:58 pm
steelgaze wrote:The rollout for the richmond and Sunset are essentually finished as far as I can tell. You'll have to wait for micro-trenching to have Arguello wired for FTTH. I'd also expect there might be installation costs because up until now, they havent needed to feed underground wires to connect a home.
That's the worst! The reason we signed up was because we were PLASTERED with ads at our building every week for pretty much all of last year. Every single ad was talking about Fiber coming to the Richmond and encouraging us to sign up for that service. The only reason I signed up for Fusion 2x (let's be honest - DSL is a downgrade from cable) was because we were told Fiber would be coming along soon.

I dropped Comcast with the understanding from Sonic - which I was told AT THE TIME when they set us up - that we were going to get Fiber within a year. This was last summer.

Now you're telling me they're finished rolling out in the Richmond? I've seen the trucks with the cherry pickers. I've got a telephone post 7 feet from my window. Just connect my post and call it a day. This is infuriating. I'm paying more money for DSL than I would for cable.

As for whoever in this thread was saying 40mbps is fast enough, you've got to be kidding me. I regularly work from home and have to send files measured in GB on a daily basis. That includes upload, which on Fusion is like 4mbps, not 40. It takes an hour. I didn't have this problem with cable internet, and to hear that now fiber has come and gone and passed me by... well this just sucks.

What the hell, Sonic?
by pockyken007 » Tue May 23, 2017 11:04 pm
mellowonarguello wrote:
steelgaze wrote:The rollout for the richmond and Sunset are essentually finished as far as I can tell. You'll have to wait for micro-trenching to have Arguello wired for FTTH. I'd also expect there might be installation costs because up until now, they havent needed to feed underground wires to connect a home.
That's the worst! The reason we signed up was because we were PLASTERED with ads at our building every week for pretty much all of last year. Every single ad was talking about Fiber coming to the Richmond and encouraging us to sign up for that service. The only reason I signed up for Fusion 2x (let's be honest - DSL is a downgrade from cable) was because we were told Fiber would be coming along soon.

I dropped Comcast with the understanding from Sonic - which I was told AT THE TIME when they set us up - that we were going to get Fiber within a year. This was last summer.

Now you're telling me they're finished rolling out in the Richmond? I've seen the trucks with the cherry pickers. I've got a telephone post 7 feet from my window. Just connect my post and call it a day. This is infuriating. I'm paying more money for DSL than I would for cable.

As for whoever in this thread was saying 40mbps is fast enough, you've got to be kidding me. I regularly work from home and have to send files measured in GB on a daily basis. That includes upload, which on Fusion is like 4mbps, not 40. It takes an hour. I didn't have this problem with cable internet, and to hear that now fiber has come and gone and passed me by... well this just sucks.

What the hell, Sonic?

Out of curiosity what files are you uploading on daily bases that take over a GB I work in I.T and maintain datacenter and server infrastructure and I am yet to see people uploading files over 1 gig for " work " heck even when I worked at Lawrence Berkeley National lab the only files that would beat that number would be some seriously advanced vector graphics and 3d models and even then nobody uploads those on " daily " bases ... also as a side note if you need that much bandwidth for work I suggest getting a business account ;)
by steelgaze » Wed May 24, 2017 1:21 am
mellowonarguello wrote: That's the worst! The reason we signed up was because we were PLASTERED with ads at our building every week for pretty much all of last year. Every single ad was talking about Fiber coming to the Richmond and encouraging us to sign up for that service. The only reason I signed up for Fusion 2x (let's be honest - DSL is a downgrade from cable) was because we were told Fiber would be coming along soon.

I looked up to see you have said you are ON Anza, which wasn't on the last round of fiber roll outs since it is an W/E street. Not sure what to tell you other than Sonic fudged up and gotten the flyering wrong. If you are on the corner of Anza and Arguello, Arguello was never included due to no overhang utilitiy poles. Either way, you were not expected to have Fiber wired up to your location.

Sonic is not just going to 'drop' a line to that 7 feet pole from your window just to wire you up.
by pockyken007 » Wed May 24, 2017 12:49 pm
My parents live on Anza and 20th and got fiber ( there is a fiber run on Anza street I just don't know what the end points are )
18 posts Page 2 of 2