Sonic $40 or $60 per month? How much are the total fees?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
32 posts Page 4 of 4
by pockyken007 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:41 am
crynoid wrote:It never occurred to me that Sonic would charge taxes for a service I was not using. Mentioned that I was not planning to use the phone while signing up. No one brought up that you will be paying taxes on it anyway. Yes, the prospect of getting high speed is nice, but probably unnecessary for our usage anyway, but paying extra taxes for a service I am not using is a deal breaker. When my contract is done, I will be looking around unless Sonic changes this policy. Why is it so hard to understand that people do not want a landline anymore, even if it is offered free + taxes.

I love my landline ! also since sonic is a TELCO as a telco they are obligated by law to attach phone to whatever service they provide ... there was a giant post about it some time ago ...
by bobpts » Sun May 12, 2019 10:51 am
all this talk about "land lines" here is a bit misleading. in most urban areas any more, you can't order a new land line. they're all digital and delivered thru a modem/router that requires ac power. a land line is something that does not require an internet connection, is not voip, and which will operate during a power outage. in some circles, it's called POTS--plain old telephone service. the phone connections offered by sonic, att, comcast et al require ac power and a router to work. POTS comes into your house via a pair of copper wires, and connects direct to a telephone(s), usually thru a wall jack. att used to offer land lines--and some city folks still have them if they haven't given in to att's major campaign to switch to uverse--when you give up POTS and subscribe to uverse--or other digital phone service because you like the internet connection added(cheap intro offers), you give up a real land line forever. real land lines are still offered in many rural areas where it's not worth it for the big companies to put in the digital infrastructure, or ac power is unreliable.

all these references here are to phone lines that are only connected at one location--house, apartment, business etc. as opposed to a cell phone which you can carry anywhere. they're not really land lines. i understand that many folks would rather just use their cell phones for everything and not have a home-based service. i'm not one of them.
32 posts Page 4 of 4