Please split phone service from fiber

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
62 posts Page 3 of 7
by craig.langman » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:12 pm
virtualmike wrote:Search the forum for posts discussion "Accession."
Thanks much! Working on setting it up now. I asked tech support if it was possible last October and they said no, I guess the guy didn't know what he was talking about.

edit: fyi, got accession working on my smartphone, kinda neat. thanks again.
by Guest » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:40 pm
another in favor of decoupling phone service.

I'm in that rough spot where I'm just a hair over 5000 feet from the CO. My only options for better speeds are FTTNx2 or Fusionx2

I'd have to double my monthly cost, plus continue to pay taxes on a phone that I have literally never used, just to get a connection faster than 8Mbps.

It's tough to stay, as much as I despise the thought of giving money to att or comcast.
by Concha » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:18 pm
I also never use my mandatory Sonic.net landline, and it wouldn't even be useful in an emergency. As someone who went through the '89 Loma Prieta earthquake, I know I'll be without power for at least a few days after the next big earthquake. I have a solar charger in my earthquake kit, but most people don't, and their cellphone batteries are not going to last. A traditional landline would be so much more useful than this phone. It is an incredible waste.
by krispycreme » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:43 am
Those taxes go towards a government fund that aids in expanding the internet infrastructure which in turn gets sonic more money.
by bigtelcoripoff » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:03 am
krispycreme wrote:Those taxes go towards a government fund that aids in expanding the internet infrastructure which in turn gets sonic more money.
After what happened last time. I have my doubts - http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2007 ... 02683.html
by Guest » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:07 pm
krispycreme wrote:Those taxes go towards a government fund that aids in expanding the internet infrastructure which in turn gets sonic more money.
Come on... these taxes do not all go toward "expanding the internet infrastructure."

https://www.sonic.com/taxesfees?p=fiber
by virtualmike » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:21 pm
krispycreme wrote:... government fund that aids in expanding the internet infrastructure...
ROFL! :mrgreen:
by allenwoo » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:57 pm
I have been bundling Directv and sonic for years and now switch to fiber but still with Directv. Is this bundled already?
by loheiman » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:44 am
I would also be in support of decoupling the landline. I've never used and I hate the idea of paying unnecessary taxes. Sonic, I'm sure you have the ability to see what percentage of your customers actually use it and I'd imagine it's quite low?
by kieran » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:21 pm
I don't even have Sonic service at my home (I have an account through my parents' plan which I support) let alone fiber service, yet I am in favor of unbundling phone from fiber.

As I understand it, the FTTN product that Sonic offers is re-sold AT&T FTTN service, and Sonic's contract with AT&T for re-selling this service requires that they bundle the phone with it. OK, fine, that stinks but it's understandable. However, the fiber service is Sonic's own product from soup to nuts. There's no reason to bundle anything with it at all.

Quick poll: how many fiber customers out there would be happy to pay your entire current bill if you knew that it was all going to Sonic and none of it was taxes?

I'm thinking the answer rate to that question would be pretty close to 100%.

$60-ish for gigabit fiber is a STEAL. It's beyond a steal, it's possibly the best deal for home internet service in the world. Most monthly rates for internet are around $1/mbps/month. Sonic's fiber service (assuming $60 after taxes) is $0.06/mbps/month. If they were to scale it down, that would be like getting Comcast's 100mbps cable service for $6/month! Think about that; let that sink in. Now add to that the fact that Sonic (unlike Comcast) doesn't cap your data, is pro-net-neutrality, and pro-privacy.

But gosh darn it, why does it need to include $12 in taxes?
62 posts Page 3 of 7