Please split phone service from fiber

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
62 posts Page 5 of 7
by miken » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:25 am
1. Yes! You can port your number back to AT&T if you port it over to Sonic and decide you'd prefer to go back
2. Having both services running simultaneously will depend on how many pairs your house's wiring has available
3. AT&T will usually install a brand new NID for you during installation if one is not present. In some cases, I have seen direct drop to internal wiring setups and although they aren't common, they also are not unheard of
4. We should also find out if you are going to be getting Fusion X2 or Fusion FTTN X2, because the former is regular POTS and the latter is VoIP. If you want to send an e-mail to support@sonic.net with the subject line 'Attn Mike N' with the address you are looking to get service at, I'd be more than happy to take a look for you!
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by bubba198 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:07 pm
Taw123 wrote:I will add another voice to the choir...
I've asked bluntly if they would charge me $100/month for data-only FTTH but it isn't up to them -- their VCs won't allow them to un-bundle. Evil Corp is real, it's not just a TV show :)
by dane » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:35 pm
bubba198 wrote:
Taw123 wrote:I will add another voice to the choir...
I've asked bluntly if they would charge me $100/month for data-only FTTH but it isn't up to them -- their VCs won't allow them to un-bundle. Evil Corp is real, it's not just a TV show :)
What VCs??
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by perfectm » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:12 pm
I just signed up and noticed the telephone adapter rental couldn't be removed. Is that possible in anyway? We haven't had a landline in 6 or 7 years, and it seems like a step backwards to be adding one in for no reason in 2016.

Looking forward to the install of the FTTN.
by dane » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:46 pm
perfectm wrote:I just signed up and noticed the telephone adapter rental couldn't be removed. Is that possible in anyway? We haven't had a landline in 6 or 7 years, and it seems like a step backwards to be adding one in for no reason in 2016.

Looking forward to the install of the FTTN.
This thread started out about Fusion fiber - but all Fusion services are really identical: a package of Internet access and unlimited home phone, for $40, or where available, X2 for $60.

We certainly are talking here about how the product might evolve, but haven't made any changes to our product offerings at this time.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Phil » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:06 pm
I also wish that phone was unbundled from your offerings. I currently have fusion and once the first year discount is up I'll be paying just shy of $60 a month for 15MB. The phone service has never been used and it may be costing me an additional ~$12 a month in fees/taxes. The problem, as I see it, is that I'm not entirely sure which fees apply to which service. For example, does the $6.50 federal subscriber line fee apply only to phone, or would you charge that with just DSL? I do know that I pay many of the same taxes on my mobile phone, which I do use (e.g. the SF 911 Fee @ 3.17 a month).

I'm happy paying $40 a month for 15MB (though I wish I could pay you for fiber!!) and I'm fine paying for the modem given the additional customer service it allows you to provide but the $12 a month--assuming it's all phone related--in taxes/fees for a service I don't use is annoying.

This is my only complaint with your service though.
by bikedude » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:10 pm
dane wrote:
This thread started out about Fusion fiber - but all Fusion services are really identical: a package of Internet access and unlimited home phone, for $40, or where available, X2 for $60.

We certainly are talking here about how the product might evolve, but haven't made any changes to our product offerings at this time.
Dane:
Any update here in terms of progress in unbundling Voice services. I posted a bit back (long email couple pages back). viewtopic.php?t=3659&start=34#p27476 Thought I would check back as there seem to be quite a few “me toos” here and in a couple other related threads scattered across the boards.

While I “have” your ear, thought I would also ask if you had any update on progress returning back to the Sunset to run east of 19th Ave in SF. I’m on 16th between Pacheco and Qunitera. I signed up and “pre-paid” back in June, just as you moved from your westward sunset rollout to begin work on the Richmond. My understanding is that after that you are going to return to pick up those of us caught between your great westward sunset march and earlier more easterly sunset deployment. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sunse ... c4a27d684e

Thank you for your focus on quality over quantity, and customer focused efforts personally responding on these and other non-Sonic boards. Reminds another CEO’s efforts during my 13 years at Apple….

Regards,
Tom
by Kevin22 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:06 pm
The best bundle to offer would be Sonic + Sony Playstation Vue. While I have not switched to it yet, Playstation Vue seems to offer the best value proposition - by far. $40 for all local channels (except PBS) + all Disneyy/ESPN, all Fox channels, TNT, TBS, etc. FOr an extra $5 you get most of the sports channels too - Comcast Sports Bay Area, BTN, SEC.
by Clapton » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:04 pm
On the other hand, I would pay for phone from sonic 10-15/mo, but it doesn't make sense for me to get internet from them because I don't currently get good speeds. I would like the opportunity to buy just phone from Sonic.
by Clapton » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:06 pm
^ To be clear, that is because Sonic provides copper wire phone which I want for emergencies/my alarm system. And because my house is already wired for it.
62 posts Page 5 of 7